none
Getting a touch screen to work in WES7E RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

I have an Iiyama T2452MTS multi touch capable screen connected to a HP t520 thin client running Windows Embedded Standard 7E. The system does not acknowledge any touch input.

After doing some research it appears that WES7E does not support multi touch gestures, only WES7P is. I had no idea this would even be a thing. I find it ridiculous but I need to resolve the issue so what are my options? So far I can see three:

• Replace the monitor with a single touch device (does anyone even make these any more?)
    • Replace the thin client with one that comes with WES7P or even XP (WES2009) because THAT supported multi touch
    • Upgrade or reimage the thin clients we have to run WES7P
    • Try and force the monitor or OS to use single touch mode

Can anyone offer some advice, if possible the last option as that would be the cheapest!

Thank you in advance.

Saturday, December 12, 2015 4:07 PM

Answers

• Hi Sean,

Thanks for your reply. I spoke to HP and they say that WES7E does not support touch screens. The only options we have are either to buy WES7P on its own so we can upgrade the clients we have, or to just buy a thin client that comes with WES7P.

I did ask them if they have a touch or tablet PC package available that would enable WES7E to support touch but doesn't look like they do.

Monday, December 14, 2015 10:23 AM

All replies

• Yes, 7E and 7P are different license levels. WES7 is build from a set of individual feature packages: http://www.annabooks.com/Articles/Articles_WES7/Intro_WES7%20V1.7.pdf

The missing package in this case is the Tablet PC package. I suggest that you contact HP to see if they have an upgrade to the t520 that supports touch screen.

Sean Liming - Book Author: Starter Guide SIM (WEI), Pro Guide to WE8S & WES 7, Pro Guide to POS for .NET - www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com

Sunday, December 13, 2015 1:26 AM
  • Hi Sean,

Thanks for your reply. I spoke to HP and they say that WES7E does not support touch screens. The only options we have are either to buy WES7P on its own so we can upgrade the clients we have, or to just buy a thin client that comes with WES7P.

I did ask them if they have a touch or tablet PC package available that would enable WES7E to support touch but doesn't look like they do.

Monday, December 14, 2015 10:23 AM
  • Since this is an OEM product what HP is suggesting is the right way to go.

Sean Liming - Book Author: Starter Guide SIM (WEI), Pro Guide to WE8S & WES 7, Pro Guide to POS for .NET - www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com

Monday, December 14, 2015 10:31 PM
  • Welcome to one of my common problems.

Salesman swears they got a SINGLE TOUCH screen. (Typically ELO)

It isn't. Rinse and repeat 3 months later with different salesman.

Note, if you're planning on using your Iiyama in some sort of 24x7 environment, don't. I have 2 of them and they both disappear if left on for the weekend. They also have speeling errors in the on-screen menu. Qwality issues...

What they say about upgrading to WS7P is the only way to go if you want to keep the Iiyama.

=^x^=

Tuesday, December 15, 2015 8:24 AM
  • In the end we purchased some refurbished WES2009 thin clients that we know work with the Iiyama screens we had. Don't know if WES2009 (XP) supports "multi-touch" but like I say we only want single-touch.

Still can't get my head around why Microsoft deem it a "premium" feature enough to lock it behind a more expensive version of the OS. What next, mouse and keyboard?

Wednesday, February 10, 2016 2:43 PM
  • If the touchscreen is HID compliant, you could write your own user mode touchscreen driver using the RawInput API. Here's a write-up of how I accomplished something similar

http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/381673/Using-the-RawInput-API-to-Process-MultiTouch-Digit

Wednesday, March 23, 2016 9:58 PM