api-ms-win-core-synch-[1-1-1.dll is missing

Question

• I recieve this message now from several applications (Includeing VS2010)  that had been installed in my windows 7 OS.

Titlebar: <app name>-System Error

The program can't start because api-ms-win-core-synch-[1-1-1.dll is missing from your computer.  Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.

I have tried re-installing the applications but that does not fix the problem.

This all started because I needed to revert to my original Windows 7 System after installing the  'Developer Preview' and not realizing it was going to replace my existing system!

Regarding the Windows 7 recovery. I followed steps of renaming Windows directories after booting from a Windows 7 installation DVD and getting to a command prompt:

ren Windows Windows.8

ren "Program Files" "Program Files.8"

ren "Users" "Users.8"

rmdir "C:\Documents and Settings"

move /y C:\Windows.old\Windows C:\

move /y "C:\Windows.old\Program Files" C:\

move /y "C:\Windows.old\Users" C:\

then

F:\boot\bootsec /nt60

restarted to Windows 7.

restarted again from Win 7 DVD to get to command prompt.

ren "Users.8" "Us8"

ren "Program Files.8" "PF8"

ren "Windows.8" "Win8"

I did also have to re-install Office 10 because it was gone???

And I have uninstalled VS2010 and re-installed it.

And I have been to the Windows Updated and installed 36 updates.

BTW, Internet Explorer (64-bit) works, but I need the 32-bit version to work as well for other IT stuff.

I have now also copied the 'ProgramData' folder from Windows.old to C:\

Any help on getting my system fully functional will be appreciated.

Richard
    Friday, September 30, 2011 5:14 PM

Answers

• Hey Richard,

The information below are under the assumption that when you start your computer you are booting into Windows 7. If you are still booting into Windows Developer Preview and trying to return to Windows 7, let me know and ignore the steps below.

If you are unsure which version of Windows you are starting into, you can check by:

• Press Windows key + R on your keyboard to open the Run... dialog
    • Type Winver into the Open: field
    • Click OK

You may be getting that message because Service Pack 1 has installed on your Windows 7, but your disk does not include Service Pack 1. In this case you will need to uninstall Service Pack 1 from Windows 7 and then complete the in-place upgrade steps. You can uninstall Service Pack 1 for Windows 7 by following the steps provided in the link below:
    How to uninstall Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1)

Once that process has completed, restart your computer and attempt the in-place upgrade again.

Steven
    Tuesday, October 4, 2011 2:03 AM

All replies

• Hey Richard,

You may need to complete an in-place upgrade of Windows 7 to register its components again. Before you do this you may want to back up any data that you don't want to lose. Take a look at the information provided in the link below for several suggestions for backing up your data.
    How to back up files and recover data

You may also want to uninstall any application that is currently giving you the error you have been receiving, then complete the in-place upgrade of Windows 7, and finally reinstall those programs.

The link below will guide you through completing the in-place upgrade of Windows 7:
    How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade on Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 & Windows Server 2008 R2

Hope that helps.

Steven
    Sunday, October 2, 2011 1:16 AM
  • Steven,  Thanks for your reply.

I have now tried the In-Place Upgade and it was un-successful in that it thinks  the operating system is newer (Programers Development Preview?) than the Windows 7 I am trying to get fully working again.  Here is the exact message text:

The following issues are preventing Windows from upgrading. Cancel the upgrade, complete each task, and then restart the upgrade to continue.

Your current version of Windows is more recent than the version you are trying to upgrade to. Windows cannot complete the upgrade.

Windows needs to be restarted so necessary changes to the system files can be made before continuing.

Upgrading Windows will affect the following devices and/or programs:

These programs might not work properly after the upgrade. We recommend uninstalling these programs before upgrading. Cancel the upgrade, open Control Panel, and search for "uninstall a program".(Note: Programs marked as * can be safely reinstalled after the upgrade.)

IBM Java WebStart

----------------------------------

Do you know if it is possible to change something in the Registry such that the Upgrade will work?

Regards

Richard
    Monday, October 3, 2011 9:30 PM
  • Hey Richard,

The information below are under the assumption that when you start your computer you are booting into Windows 7. If you are still booting into Windows Developer Preview and trying to return to Windows 7, let me know and ignore the steps below.

If you are unsure which version of Windows you are starting into, you can check by:

• Press Windows key + R on your keyboard to open the Run... dialog
    • Type Winver into the Open: field
    • Click OK

You may be getting that message because Service Pack 1 has installed on your Windows 7, but your disk does not include Service Pack 1. In this case you will need to uninstall Service Pack 1 from Windows 7 and then complete the in-place upgrade steps. You can uninstall Service Pack 1 for Windows 7 by following the steps provided in the link below:
    How to uninstall Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1)

Once that process has completed, restart your computer and attempt the in-place upgrade again.

Steven
    Tuesday, October 4, 2011 2:03 AM