WebDAV file limit - Is there a way to change it? RRS feed

• Question

• User325420376 posted

Our company has decided to replace our aging FTP server with an IIS 6.0 system running WebDAV. In tests, the system works very nicely. However, I cannot upload a file any larger than ~700MB-1GB. If I do, I get an error that the file couldn't be written. I've searched all around but I can't find anything anywhere about there being a "limit" on how large a file can be when uploading it via HTTP/WebDAV. Does anyone know if there is a way to fix this, or will I just have to live with it?

Friday, March 20, 2009 8:34 AM

Answers

• User930989739 posted

I don't have the exact numbers on the upload cap but you will not likely be able to upload file > 2GB with WebDAV due to various limitations.

FTP is the way for you to go if you need to transfer large files. Unfortunately, FTP comes with it's own set of challenges (eg. firewall configuration) but file size limit is typically not one of them.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Tuesday, September 28, 2021 12:00 AM
    Friday, March 20, 2009 3:33 PM

All replies

• User930989739 posted

I don't have the exact numbers on the upload cap but you will not likely be able to upload file > 2GB with WebDAV due to various limitations.

FTP is the way for you to go if you need to transfer large files. Unfortunately, FTP comes with it's own set of challenges (eg. firewall configuration) but file size limit is typically not one of them.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Tuesday, September 28, 2021 12:00 AM
    Friday, March 20, 2009 3:33 PM
  • User325420376 posted

The reasons we are ditching FTP in favor of WebDAV are:

-No additional software required. IE takes care of that.

-Full end-to-end encryption with HTTPS

-Integrated Drag & Drop with IE.

Why does the limitation exist?

Friday, March 20, 2009 4:26 PM