VS2011 Express only for Metra, Why cannot I use VS2011 Ultimate?

Question

• I have the Windows 8 CP installed.

I Installed the VS2011 CP - no metro options

Installed VSExpress - had errors due to VS2011.

Reimaged Windows 8 Back

Installed VSExpress - Metro available again, Got development 'license'

Installed VS2011 CP so that I can use full ultimate abilities - Error installing VS2011 runtime (runtime on system is newer)

So it seems you can only develop Metro with an Express edition?  That seems like a bad idea!

I want to use a non express edition so that I can use other abilities that express doesn't support (such as addons)

Is there a way to use the VS2011 Ultimate on Win 8 and develop Metro?  Another download perhaps with just the metro SDK (cannot find this), or a supported upgrade of VSExpress?

Thank You

Wednesday, March 07, 2012 5:38 PM

Answers

• Developing Metro style apps is supported in Visual Studio 11 Ultimate Beta when installed on Windows 8 Consumer Preview. Where did you install it from?

After install, if you run devenv /installvstemplates does that fix the issue?

Wednesday, March 07, 2012 5:45 PM

All replies

• Developing Metro style apps is supported in Visual Studio 11 Ultimate Beta when installed on Windows 8 Consumer Preview. Where did you install it from?

After install, if you run devenv /installvstemplates does that fix the issue?

Wednesday, March 07, 2012 5:45 PM
  • I installed onto a W8CP.  Multiple times on different Win8 systems (virtual and 1 physical).

Other templates were there, so it just seems odd.

I am reinstalling and going to try the devenv/installvstemplates  - I will update you once it is finished.

Thank You

Wednesday, March 07, 2012 5:55 PM
  • I re-imaged.  Re-downloaded VS Ultimate 2011 Beta.  Re-installed and everything worked correctly.

Not sure what went wrong before.  Thank You.

Thursday, March 08, 2012 2:55 PM