TITLE: Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio ------------------------------ Restore failed for Server 'RECEPTION\SQLEXPRESS'. (Microsoft.SqlServer.SmoExtended) RRS feed

• Question

• Database "FAR" was taken as a backup from the same version of SQL server but from the network. now I'm trying to restore that database on my local machine, and it is giving me this error. Any help would be great. Thnxs....

Saturday, September 7, 2013 1:12 PM

Answers

• No you haven't installed the same version of the server.  You might have installed the same version of the client tools, but not the server.  That should be obvious from the information in your screenshot - the version of the connected servers is listed in parentheses next to the server names.  Sunnyshah is 10.5 - which is sql server 2008 R2.  Reception is sql server 2008.  These are very different versions (and perhaps rather unfortunately named by Microsoft).

What should you do?  It is difficult to say since we don't know what your requirements are.  If you want to restore your backup somewhere, you will need to do that using a database server that is at the same version (and SP level, fwiw) as the source database server.  If you are working with a production system, then it would be advisable to install the exact same version of sql server.  Much of this decision revolves around what you intend to do with this database.  In addition, does this mean you need to uninstall the version you currently have?  Don't know - you need to make that decision based on your requirements.  Perhaps there is a server/database you need to access, develop, support, etc that is using sql server 2008 - I can't possibly know that.  Maybe you should install sql server 2012. 

Tuesday, September 10, 2013 1:20 PM

All replies

• You cannot restore a back up to a previous version of SQL SERVER ( in this case SQL SERVER 20082 to SQL SERER 2008).

It's only forward compatible.

But if you have a force to do this, there are some ways to downgrade a database on SQL SERVER based on recreating the database. For more info you can see this link:

Downgrading from SQL 2008 to 2005

The most important motivation for the research work that resulted in the relational model was the objective of providing a sharp and clear boundary between the logical and physical aspects of database management. - E. F. Codd

My blog

• Proposed as answer by Saeid Hasani Saturday, September 7, 2013 7:11 PM
    Saturday, September 7, 2013 2:39 PM
  • Thanx for the reply. that is right but I've install same version which is installed on the server that is SQL Server 2008 R2. but now its saying that versions not compatible. Should I re-configure the SQL server on my local machine or there is another way? 
    Tuesday, September 10, 2013 5:09 AM
  • No you haven't installed the same version of the server.  You might have installed the same version of the client tools, but not the server.  That should be obvious from the information in your screenshot - the version of the connected servers is listed in parentheses next to the server names.  Sunnyshah is 10.5 - which is sql server 2008 R2.  Reception is sql server 2008.  These are very different versions (and perhaps rather unfortunately named by Microsoft).

What should you do?  It is difficult to say since we don't know what your requirements are.  If you want to restore your backup somewhere, you will need to do that using a database server that is at the same version (and SP level, fwiw) as the source database server.  If you are working with a production system, then it would be advisable to install the exact same version of sql server.  Much of this decision revolves around what you intend to do with this database.  In addition, does this mean you need to uninstall the version you currently have?  Don't know - you need to make that decision based on your requirements.  Perhaps there is a server/database you need to access, develop, support, etc that is using sql server 2008 - I can't possibly know that.  Maybe you should install sql server 2012. 

Tuesday, September 10, 2013 1:20 PM
  • that might be true. I didn't know about client tool and server versions. Thanks for your guide. 

thanks a lot.

Wednesday, September 11, 2013 10:41 AM