none
Reading from text files

Question

• Hi people,

I have a form with a split container, panel 1 and panel 2!
    Panel 1 has multiple labels that are being used as buttons to (try) display text that i have in text files in the resource folder.

I can and have managed to read and write to text files that are in local directories but can't manage to get the button/label to open and display resource text files into the correct panel.

I am not bothering with reading lines, i just want it to get everything in the text file and display it as is!

Does anyone know how i can do this? And can you help please?

Thanks in advance

regards Flatland France

• Edited by EyeMan Android Saturday, July 23, 2016 6:53 AM forgot something
    Saturday, July 23, 2016 6:50 AM

Answers

• If the text file was added to resources using Resources tab of Project Properties, then try this:

TextBox1.Text = My.Resources.TextFile1

Where TextFile1 is the name of resource and TextBox1 is the textbox added to panel 2.

Apply some properties to text box, for example: Multiline —True, WordWrap — False, ScrollBars — Both.

If it is actually a file on disk, then use File.ReadAllText.

Otherwise, give details about your data.

• Edited by Viorel_MVP Saturday, July 23, 2016 11:37 AM
    • Marked as answer by EyeMan Android Saturday, July 23, 2016 11:50 AM
    Saturday, July 23, 2016 11:36 AM

All replies

• Is this the most difficult thing to do in VB? or just so easy that nobody can be bothered to help?

regards Flatland France

Saturday, July 23, 2016 10:40 AM
  • If the text file was added to resources using Resources tab of Project Properties, then try this:

TextBox1.Text = My.Resources.TextFile1

Where TextFile1 is the name of resource and TextBox1 is the textbox added to panel 2.

Apply some properties to text box, for example: Multiline —True, WordWrap — False, ScrollBars — Both.

If it is actually a file on disk, then use File.ReadAllText.

Otherwise, give details about your data.

• Edited by Viorel_MVP Saturday, July 23, 2016 11:37 AM
    • Marked as answer by EyeMan Android Saturday, July 23, 2016 11:50 AM
    Saturday, July 23, 2016 11:36 AM
  • Viorel_

Thankyou so very much, i had tried everything and anything even your solution'ish but just couldn't get it to work.

You are a diamond

Cheers

regards Flatland France

Saturday, July 23, 2016 11:51 AM