How to segment an existing WebForms application RRS feed

• Question

• User1351405989 posted

Hello,

I have a WebForms application running ASP.NET 4.5 on IIS 10, everything is set up as a single IIS website. The application consists of three "parts" that unforutnately were designed as a monolithic project (one application, i.e. one main dll with some class libraries). The challenge now is I'd like to migrate to some new, cool technologies like MVC, node.js, React.JS, maybe with ASP.NET Core. However the problem is that I don't want to write entire application from scratch, it would take too much time. I'd like to do this partially, one part (app section) at a time. IIS doesn't allow to put a new application inside an already existing application. Also if I used ASP.NET Core, I can't run it with a website that also hosts WebForms application.

It seems to me that the only solution is moving part of the application to a subdomain (and thus a separate website in IIS) or using reverse proxy (e.g. Application Request Routing in IIS) which looks rather ugly in terms of design and overhead but would allow to preserve URLs "inside" the old Web Forms app. Maybe there are some other solutions? What do you think would be the best approach here?

Once again, the goal is to be able to "upgrade" part of Web Forms application to something more fancy than Web Forms, and to avoid having to move it to a separate subdomain. Can .NET apps coexist in any way in this setup?

Many thanks for all your insights!

Monday, April 3, 2017 11:24 AM

All replies