none
Installing Kinect Upside Down (mounted on the ceiling) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a quick question.

Is there any support from SDK for the Kinect mounted on upside down (i.e. on the ceiling) ?

So, the driver (or any other low level modules) should flip the stream before its processing.

If so, could you let me know related API calls?

Thanks!,

Seokhwan

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 1:13 PM

All replies

• Seokhan,

This will work with the video stream and the depth stream.  You won't get skeleton recognition though, which means player information in the depth stream won't be available either.

You should be able to flip the video stream and the depth stream bits yourself.  There's nothing in the API that will do this for you, though.

If you need the skeleton stream, you might want to try removing the base and creating your own custom mount so the Kinect is oriented correctly -- though to be clear I'm not advising you to void your warranty.  Just pointing out some possibilities.

James

James Ashley - Presentation Layer Architect at Razorfish Emerging Experiences
    jamesashley@imaginativeuniversal.com
    www.imaginativeuniversal.com www.emergingexperiences.com

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 3:48 PM
  • As per James's reply (I'm just reiterating), this was something that was highlighted in an earlier thread :)
    Lets see if I can dig it up...

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/kinectsdknuiapi/thread/d45804d3-ca0a-4459-9781-bfb087eea5f0

There we go

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 4:12 PM
  • James,

Indeed, what I really want is skeleton... Thanks for the info. Then, it would be better to find different mounting ways.

- Seokhwan

↓ ni28, Great Thanks also !

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 12:52 AM
  • Do you really need it Upside down, or you just want your kinect to be up to the ceiling.

example1 (from the thread that ni28 linked):

------------- <- ceiling
           o  <- sensor
           V  <- camera direction

o o ooo <- objects
    ------------- <- floor

example2:

------------- <- ceiling
    o  sensor(staying on a flat surface fixed to the ceiling like a projector)
    > camera direction

--------------1,2m-3,5m--------------------o o ooo <- objects
    ------------- <- floor

so for skeleton tracking:

example 2 i think it would be possible, you just need to set the camera angle to look "down",

example1 is not possible as told in the post that ni28 linked

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 6:08 PM
  • This is something that should be added to the commerical SDK. I can see numerous uses of this capability for things like interactive displays. This is also probably incredibly easy for them to implement. I'd be disappointed if they don't get this in the next version.
    Wednesday, February 15, 2012 7:53 PM