none
Visual Studio 2015 VB editor doesn't add parens around parameters anymore. Is this by design?

Question

• In pre-2015 versions of Visual Studio/VB, If I typed something like this:

Before

and pressed space to continue typing, the editor would automatically add the required parens like this:

After

Was this functionality taken out on purpose? Or overlooked?  Was it considered bad programming practice to let the editor add them for you?  Because I thought it quite convenient and more efficient to let the editor add the parens.

Friday, June 17, 2016 5:37 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi tolsen64,

I think I could repro this issue in my side, it works well in VS2013, but it really has this issue in VS2015 now.

One workaround is that select the "MsgBox" with the IntelliSense, it would input the code "MsgBox()" automatically.

Of course, for this issue, I also help you submit a feedback here:

https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedbackdetail/view/2839770/visual-studio-2015-vb-editor-doesnt-add-parens-around-parameters-anymore

You could vote it, maybe we could get better response from the report team.

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, June 21, 2016 6:43 AM
  • Doing the workaround still takes the fluidity away from coding. I upvoted your bug report and included myself in the "Me Too" list.  Thanks.
    Wednesday, June 22, 2016 3:14 PM
  • You are welcome, tolsen64.

As I already submit one feedback on the Microsoft Connect site, let's focus on the case on that channel, may the senior members can provide more professional support.

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, June 23, 2016 6:56 AM