How do you organise the Metro Start menu

Question

• After installing a few programs, mine has become a clutter. There is no pre organised segmentation and it includes uninstall items which I feel should be hidden elsewhere.
    Saturday, November 19, 2011 9:27 PM

Answers

• I believe that you can right-click on the tiles and bring up something similar to the "app bar" to unpin applications. If you are one of the lucky few that is using this on a touch device, you can swipe down on a tile to select it, which has the same effect as the right-click.
    Saturday, November 19, 2011 10:17 PM
  • Remove Program Tiles From Metro Start Screen

1. Right click on the tile.
    2. Then on the bottom of your screen click "unpin."

Add Program Tiles To Metro Start Screen

1. In Metro, search for the program by typing it name.
    2. Then when you see it on the left side right click it.
    3. At the bottom of the screen you can then pin it.

Rearrange Tiles

1. Click and hold a tile
    2. Drag the tile to where you want it.
    3. Release the tile. 

Saturday, November 19, 2011 10:59 PM

All replies

• I believe that you can right-click on the tiles and bring up something similar to the "app bar" to unpin applications. If you are one of the lucky few that is using this on a touch device, you can swipe down on a tile to select it, which has the same effect as the right-click.
    Saturday, November 19, 2011 10:17 PM
  • Remove Program Tiles From Metro Start Screen

1. Right click on the tile.
    2. Then on the bottom of your screen click "unpin."

Add Program Tiles To Metro Start Screen

1. In Metro, search for the program by typing it name.
    2. Then when you see it on the left side right click it.
    3. At the bottom of the screen you can then pin it.

Rearrange Tiles

1. Click and hold a tile
    2. Drag the tile to where you want it.
    3. Release the tile. 

Saturday, November 19, 2011 10:59 PM
  • Having looked at 'search' at the start button, I have unpinned nearly everything and just kept or pinned anything I think I will need or find handy for everyday use. Some of the computer monitoring tools are there and also some of the little gems such as paint, notepad, calculator and character map. The maths input panel I have never used but looks good for those equations I could never type.

The app development tools can stay 'as is' for when (if) I get around to trying them.

The games?  I have a young granddaughter.

A small section for my installed programs and it should all still be on one page. 

ADDED

I have not found a way to focus on, and move, a whole group.

• Edited by d r h Sunday, November 20, 2011 12:22 AM
    Sunday, November 20, 2011 12:20 AM
  • ADDED

I have not found a way to focus on, and move, a whole group.

You're not able to in the Developer Preview.

Sunday, November 20, 2011 12:51 AM
  • Here on the forum we are perhaps familiar with items such as System configuration, event viewer and performance monitor or at least have some idea of what they are for. The same cannot be said for the average user buying their new computer from PCWorld (or where ever). If only the favourites are kept on the Start meu it could be argued that all the rest are hidden. I do not think so. Entering the Search mode and having to navigate through 'apps' they know nothing about let alone understand can only be a distraction.

To my mind there should be 3 layers. The two layers as they are now for pinned and unpinned user apps, and a hidden layer for system and un-install apps. This layer would not normally be seen by the user but could be unhidden on demand much as it is now in WE.

Didn't look as though I could move a whole group.

Sunday, November 20, 2011 1:22 AM
  • Hey D r h,

Microsoft is monitoring these forums for issues and concerns.  This will be reported up so that the right people are made aware of your concern.

Steven
    Saturday, November 26, 2011 5:31 PM
  • I have not found a way to focus on, and move, a whole group.

Maybe they are waiting for someone to write an "app" which edits  TileCacheStartView*.dat?   <eg>

BTW thanks for the question as an incentive to start looking at the implementation of the Start Screen.

---

Saturday, November 26, 2011 10:41 PM
  • Hi Steven and Robert, if I can bring anything to the attention of the powers that be then I will at least have achieved something. However there is a slight twist to this thread. The title of this thread seems to have been construed as 'HOW do you organise the Metro Start menu' whereas what I meant was 'How do YOU organise the Metro Start Menu'. In other words it's not what you say but how you say it.

My prime question will always be 'Is Windows8 an improvement on Windows7 with regard to workflow for the large majority of users'. For an old codger like me who has dual screens without touch and a mobile phone that only makes phone calls (logical?), references to 'wipe' and 'tap' have no meaning. At the moment the interaction between the Metro Start menu and the desktop is a painful one. Many of the so called apps are in fact desktop system utilities and could stay as such. Metro should contain apps designed as Metro apps and the menu initiated from the desktop as required. But that is only my opinion.

Of course I am at the end of the age spectrum. There are plenty of others, in particular the younger ones, who will see things differently. Touch screens for computers will become more common IMO but not for about 5 years and perhaps by then the desktop will have been replaced by laptops or flat tabletop screens.

One of my main gripes is that I cannot, say, open a program on one screen and the manual on the other (unless you know different).

Anybody else?  

Sunday, November 27, 2011 12:09 AM
  • One of my main gripes is that I cannot, say, open a program on one screen and the manual on the other (unless you know different). 

Try  Win-Shift-CursorLeft   (assuming you have the displays in Extended mode).   Dragging with a mouse would work too but is more work IMO.   ; )

FWIW I'm waiting for  Semantic Zoom  of the Start Screen  to be implemented at least as well as they showed it for the Build demos.   I don't know what a non-Touch user has to do to cause Semantic Zoom but you could start experimenting with the Search Apps pane...  Aha.   Do you have a mouse with a Wheel at least?   If so, try this:

1. Press Win- to bring up the Start Screen
    2. Type any character to bring up the Search pane
    3. Press Esc twice
    4. Make sure your mouse pointer is somewhere in that pane
    5. Press a Ctrl- key and roll your wheel.

Step 5 is a bit flakey IMO.  E.g. I can roll my wheel and nothing happens, then roll it back and it works.   Oops.   Evidently rolling it backwards is equivalent to Zoom-Out.   So, rolling it forwards being Zoom-In does nothing in its normal view (no bigger tiles to clue me in?)

With Touch, step 5 is very smooth.   I'd still probably do most of my keyboard steps getting there though--trying to find the Charm bar or the Start menu by digging it out of an edge or corner of my Tablet with Touch is still too quirky for me.   ; )

FYI

Robert
    ---

Sunday, November 27, 2011 1:54 AM