MAXBUFFERPOOLSIZE = "67108864"

MAXRECEIVEDMESSAGESIZE = "67108864"

SENDTIMEOUT = "60"            //Seconds

RECEIVETIMEOUT = "300"     //Seconds

INACTIVITYTIMEOUT = "30"   //Seconds

OPENTIMEOUT = "5"              //Seconds

SECURITYMODE = "TRANSPORT"

Problem Statement:

• WCF Service was running (Console  App Hosted) on Machine 1.
    • Trying to connect to WCF service from Machine 2, while establishing reliable session with service, LAN cable was removed.
    • Now trying to connect to same WCF service from Machine 3, unable to connect to service, received exception “The open operation did not complete within the allotted timeout of 00:00:00. The time allotted to this operation may have been a portion of a longer timeout.”
    • After receive timeout (i.e. 5 min) again tried to connect to WCF service from Machine 3, now able to connect to service.
    Tuesday, August 29, 2017 10:42 AM

All replies

• Hi Kiran,

>> The open operation did not complete within the allotted timeout of 00:00:00

This error is confused, did you write 00:00:00 by mistake? I suggest you enable Configuring Tracing to check the detail error message.

>> After receive timeout (i.e. 5 min) again tried to connect to WCF service from Machine 3

What do you mean by receive timeout? Previous error message it open timeout.

If Machine 3 connect to Machine 1 without Machine 2 connect first, will it receive any error?

If Machine 2 and Machine 1 connect Machine 1 service at the same time, will it receive any error?

Best Regards,

Edward

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, August 30, 2017 2:01 AM
  • Hi Edward Z,

Thanks for your reply.

We have received same exception (as mentioned above) in client application, on connecting to WCF service in said scenario.

Receive Timeout, which we have configured in WCF service (i.e. 300 seconds).

We are testing disconnection scenarios between WCF service and client. In this we are facing problem in connection between one client and WCF service due to connection error in other client.

Our method of testing

Step 1: WCF service in running on Machine 1

Step 2: Client 1 start connecting to WCF Service from Machine 2

Step 3: We intercept this communication using tool and after passing 1 or 2 messages we used to remove LAN cable

Step 4: Now from Machine 3 we are trying to connect to WCF Service from client 2, here we are receiving this said exception "The open operation did not complete...."

Step 5: After 5 min (300 seconds receive timeout configured in WCF Service) again we try to connect to WCF Service from Machine 3 with client 2, now this time are able to connect to WCF service

Here our doubt is why connectivity issue of one client affect the WCF communication of other clients?

Why WCF service is not responding to any other clients till its Receive Timeout time?

Wednesday, August 30, 2017 8:06 PM
  • Hi Kiran,

>> Step 3: We intercept this communication using tool and after passing 1 or 2 messages we used to remove LAN cable

Do you intercept the request or response? Did the service receive this request?

I suggest you try PerCall instead of PerSession.

Best Regards,

Edward

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, August 31, 2017 2:46 AM
  • Hi Edward Z,

Thanks for your reply.

Sorry unable to respond you last week. I tried your suggestion, but still I am facing same issue. We are intercepting both request and response, but we are disconnecting in between only (basically we are doing negative testing of our application). And we have observed one thing here is, in our WCF service class we have static constructor and we are printing some text in this constructor. But that text is not getting printed and before that we are disconnecting our client.

I am wondering here, why the client communication in our WCF application is interdependent among clients.

• Edited by Kiran Waje Sunday, September 10, 2017 11:50 AM
    Sunday, September 10, 2017 11:49 AM
  • Hi Kiran,

I would suggest you make some tests to narrow down your issue.

1. Create new services and client with the same configuration, will this issue be reproduceable?

2. With your original project, will this issue exist if you comment out intercepting function?

Best Regards,

Edward

MSDN Community Support

Monday, September 11, 2017 2:32 AM