Capacity Planning for Azure Managed Cache Service Spreadsheet Missing RRS feed

• Question

• I'm currently choosing between dedicated in-role caching and the azure managed cache service. It seems pretty clear that for in-role caching one must consider the cache access frequency when choosing the in-role cache size (as demonstrated by the capacity planning spreadsheet found here http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh914129.aspx although the documentation states "Your application is the only consumer of the cache. There are no predefined quotas or throttling. Physical capacity (memory and other physical resources) is the only limiting factor.")

It is less clear if this is also the case for the azure managed cache service since the documentation simply states:

Now, there are no predefined quotas on bandwidth and connections. Physical capacity is the only limiting factor and you only pay based upon the cache size. You can now focus solely on your application and its data needs.” 

and the capacity planning guide spreadsheet found here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn386139.aspx

does not lead the actual spreadsheet.

Is there some way to get the capacity planning guide spreadsheet for the azure managed cache service? If not, can someone tell me whether we need to consider cache access frequency (and not just size) when choosing the azure managed cache service?

Thanks!

Tuesday, June 3, 2014 3:56 PM

Answers

• Hi,

>>I'm confused because when using the caching capacity planner spreadsheet, when the number reads/second is increased, a greater cache size is recommended. But why would I need a larger cache size if the same object is being read by multiple users and there is not limit on bandwidth?

Base on my experience, If you only use one object by multiple users, you don't consider the larger cache size. If you use more cache objects, you may need use the larger cache size. In other words, the cache size depended on cache objects size and amount of cache objects. If we have a lots of cache objects, we need set the larger cache size. But if we get large amount of cache objects at one time, the bandwidth may be a factor.

Hope this helps.

Will

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, June 4, 2014 7:21 AM

All replies

• Just kidding, I found the planning spreadsheets here:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30000

That said, I'm still unsure of whether the data read/write frequency (bandwidth) is relevant in choosing capacity:

In role:

"Your application is the only consumer of the cache. There are no predefined quotas or throttling. Physical capacity (memory and other physical resources) is the only limiting factor."

Managed:

Now, there are no predefined quotas on bandwidth and connections. Physical capacity is the only limiting factor and you only pay based upon the cache size. You can now focus solely on your application and its data needs.” 

I'm confused because when using the caching capacity planner spreadsheet, when the number reads/second is increased, a greater cache size is recommended. But why would I need a larger cache size if the same object is being read by multiple users and there is not limit on bandwidth?

Tuesday, June 3, 2014 6:12 PM
  • Hi,

>>I'm confused because when using the caching capacity planner spreadsheet, when the number reads/second is increased, a greater cache size is recommended. But why would I need a larger cache size if the same object is being read by multiple users and there is not limit on bandwidth?

Base on my experience, If you only use one object by multiple users, you don't consider the larger cache size. If you use more cache objects, you may need use the larger cache size. In other words, the cache size depended on cache objects size and amount of cache objects. If we have a lots of cache objects, we need set the larger cache size. But if we get large amount of cache objects at one time, the bandwidth may be a factor.

Hope this helps.

Will

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, June 4, 2014 7:21 AM