Sybase ASE to SQL Server migration project hours estimate RRS feed

• Question

• We are going to convert PowerBuilder client/server application from Sybase ASE 12.5 to MS SQL Server 2008 using SSMA. There are 600 tables, 485 indexes, 230 stored procedures, and 200 triggers in the Sybase database. Our resources - 1 DBA and 1 PB programmer.

Can anyone say based on his/her experience how many hours or days this project can take, very roughly of course. I'm a project manager and I would like to know the estimate  before I can download SSMA and create the assesment report.

Thank you so much in advance!!!

Tuesday, March 22, 2011 7:44 PM

Answers

• Hello,

I think 20-30 days should be fine. The following resource is not fully applicable but helps you create the project plan.

http://www.mssqltips.com/tip.asp?tip=1933

Those 20-30 days should include: defining project scope, requirement analysis, installing/configuring new hardware, building test plans and checklists, test phase, pre-migration tasks, migration tasks, post-migration tasks, meetings for daily/weekly status, etc.

Hope this helps.   

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

• Marked as answer by allayb Wednesday, March 23, 2011 5:57 PM
    Wednesday, March 23, 2011 11:58 AM

All replies

• Hello,

I think 20-30 days should be fine. The following resource is not fully applicable but helps you create the project plan.

http://www.mssqltips.com/tip.asp?tip=1933

Those 20-30 days should include: defining project scope, requirement analysis, installing/configuring new hardware, building test plans and checklists, test phase, pre-migration tasks, migration tasks, post-migration tasks, meetings for daily/weekly status, etc.

Hope this helps.   

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

• Marked as answer by allayb Wednesday, March 23, 2011 5:57 PM
    Wednesday, March 23, 2011 11:58 AM
  • Alberto,

Thank you so much for your fast and helpful response.

Regards,

Alla Babayeva

Wednesday, March 23, 2011 5:57 PM