Best Architecture to build WPF application with Oracle Database RRS feed

• Question

• Hello experts,

I am trying to start a WPF application for sales forecasting analysis. we are using oracle as its Database. There is huge amount of data which is going to display and lot of manipulation will be performed on that data, Application include huge amount of reporting. i have explored about WPF but no hand on experience.

Now i am confuse between these design patterns. I have used EF for oracle but its beta right now, so we can not use it as production. Can anyone guide me through this that what would be the best architecture to choose among MVVM + Nhibernate, EF beta +Prism

Thanks in advance

Regards,

Kashif Amin.

Thursday, May 26, 2011 12:36 PM

All replies

• To choose the best architecture, following parameters needs to be considered

1. Performance

2.Changebility (& Extensibility)

3. Expertise available

4. Available support

You need to set priorities to these parameters and decide upon. Looking at these parameters, EF beta + Prism would be good choice as

1. Same platform paradigm - Microsoft

2. Good support for EF and Prism

3.Extensibility

4. Good performance

Hope this helps.

Thanks
    • Proposed as answer by Vishvvas Friday, May 27, 2011 7:08 AM
    Friday, May 27, 2011 7:07 AM
  • I wouldn't use Prism unless you also intend doing a silverlight version.  It's an unnecessary complication.

I think if this is a large system then the EF beta will likely become production before you deliver.

EF4 is an obvious choice.

If you use that then you won't be using nHibernate though as they're both ORM.

Definitely use MVVM.

Reporting is something of a weak point of WPF since there's no native report viewer.

Your alternatives are to buy a third party version such as telerik, use winforms report viewer and crystal or ssrs or cook up something yourself.

Friday, May 27, 2011 10:31 AM