Xamarin Studio future? RRS feed

• Question

• User17472 posted

Hello everybody, All you know, Microsoft announced Visual Studio for Mac and it is absolutely Xamarin Studio copy with some changes. And i'm wondering and ask with respect to @NatFriedman @MigueldeIcaza . What is Xamarin Studio future?

Thank you.

Sunday, November 20, 2016 10:29 AM

Answers

• User1669 posted

Looks like a rebranding to me. And I'm sure there's more to it, but it wasn't a rebuild from the ground up. Visual Studio for Mac is based on Xamarin Studio, just with a different name.

It's similar to how Microsoft acquired Acompli, which was one of the best e-mail clients on Android. Then MS just renamed Acompli to "Outlook". Same code, just a re-branding.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, June 3, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, November 21, 2016 1:50 PM

All replies

• User2148 posted

RIP

Sunday, November 20, 2016 10:31 AM
  • User74 posted

What is the point of this question? Xamarin Studio is becoming Visual Studio for Mac. That is its future.

Monday, November 21, 2016 9:34 AM
  • User1669 posted

Looks like a rebranding to me. And I'm sure there's more to it, but it wasn't a rebuild from the ground up. Visual Studio for Mac is based on Xamarin Studio, just with a different name.

It's similar to how Microsoft acquired Acompli, which was one of the best e-mail clients on Android. Then MS just renamed Acompli to "Outlook". Same code, just a re-branding.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, June 3, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, November 21, 2016 1:50 PM
  • User2418 posted

Well I hope there will be a separate forum section for Visual Studio for Mac. It's going to make it very awkward to look for threads just for the Mac version of Visual Studio.

Wednesday, November 23, 2016 8:19 AM
  • User12211 posted

@GavinGrant said: Well I hope there will be a separate forum section for Visual Studio for Mac. It's going to make it very awkward to look for threads just for the Mac version of Visual Studio.

+1

Wednesday, November 23, 2016 5:03 PM
  • User245831 posted

I prefer XS also on Windows. What is the future of the Windows version of Xamarin Studio?

Saturday, November 26, 2016 10:04 AM
  • User2148 posted

The death

Saturday, November 26, 2016 10:22 AM
  • User245831 posted

No official answer from Xamarin or Microsoft?

Friday, December 2, 2016 12:40 PM
  • User12211 posted

They've stated in multiple posts that you should use VS on Windows and they removed XS from the Windows universal installer. Now they've rebranded XS for Mac as VS for Mac. I think that's as official as you're going to get.

It really doesn't make sense for them to maintain an IDE that only supports Android development. In their eyes, they already have an IDE that supports Android development anyway.

Friday, December 2, 2016 3:31 PM
  • User245831 posted

It is on Xamarin to support iOS development in XS on Windows, it's not defined by god. ;) For mobile development the installation and use of XS for me is the best way, because I don't need the 200GB crap, that Microsoft installes with VS! For now I think I have to buy a Mac Mini to do my future development on mobile Apps.

Friday, December 2, 2016 7:19 PM
  • User12211 posted

You do know Xamarin is now part of Microsoft, don't you?

Anyway, Xamarin has never supported iOS development in XS on Windows. You have always had to use VS with the Xamarin for VS add-in to do that.

And you have always had to have a Mac to do iOS development, even on Windows. That's Apple, not Xamarin.

Friday, December 2, 2016 8:35 PM
  • User268903 posted

Well... im still wondering the future of XS. On Windows they probably will kill it. VS Mac is XS with a cool icon and horrible theme manager (a bit worst than XS). What about Linux ? What about GtkSharp ? Xamarin already told somewhere they dont have plans to migrate for GTK3, so.. dead on Linux? Is there any community left regarding this ?

Tuesday, June 6, 2017 10:52 PM