Got Used To Metro Yet?

General discussion

• I bought a new laptop and i decided to keep Win8 in it and after using it for a month am i used to it and i kinda like it. Just one thing annoys me is that when i go to Metro i cant quickly easily access opened windows in explorer. I have to go back to desktop and then go the open window. Also there should be a way to customize Metro. I used bluepoison to change metro theme and it now more beautiful but i want more customization

Also Please in this window add workspace switcher. will make millions of people life a lot easier. I was thinking of integrating workspace switcher in the top of the metro

Sunday, October 30, 2011 7:10 PM

All replies

• I never used my copy of Windows 8 that much, but when I did, I didn't like what I saw. It's been a month now and I have not gotten used to Metro. I still don't like it. Honestly, I don't think this is an issue of "getting used to it." I don't think I will ever like Metro.
    Sunday, October 30, 2011 7:45 PM
  • Is this supposed to be a poll? If so, I would suggest that the title be "Poll: Have You Gotten Used to Metro Yet?" rather than "Got Used to Metro Yet?".
    Sunday, October 30, 2011 8:22 PM
  • Also worth asking people what they are running Windows8/Metro on, specifically 'On a tablet' or 'With a touchscreen'. I suspect that will have a major impact on their positive/negative feedback to your question.

I'm on a tablet (with occasional keyboard/dock) and I like metro, i think it has potential but... I've been using OSX & Solaris as my main OS's for most of the last decade so I don't miss any of the features from XP et al that have been deprecated / culled in Windows 8.

I like metro so much that my iPad is rarely used these days.

Acer W500 tablet & dock, New 'works' Lenovo laptop Too much apple stuff. Remember: A Developer Preview is just that, a preview for developers - not everything will work 'just right' on day 1.
    Monday, October 31, 2011 12:00 AM
  • @postPCera and @Ali1000

I ran Windows 8 on a desktop PC with a mouse and keyboard and without a touchscreen. The entire experience feels broken and wrong. It seems like an egregious design violation to even have a mouse cursor in the Metro UI. To be honest, the desktop and touch worlds of computing are so different that I am amazed by Microsoft's attempts, past and present, to combine them. PostPCEra, if you want to see what Metro is like for most users, I suggest that you try using it without touch, completely, with no possibility of accidentally navigating the PC with touch by accident. Based on my own experiences with the product, I predict that Metro on the desktop will go the way of Windows XP Tablet PC Edition.

Monday, October 31, 2011 12:32 AM
  • I've used Win8 on and off, but I don't have any touch screen
    capability. (windows PC's that is, I have an iPhone and iPad, so I'm
    familiar with a purely touch environment.)

I would make a couple improvements on the Metro screen, and I expect
    things will get more stable during and after the beta, but I got used
    to it, no problem, and it was customizable enough.

One thing I'd really like to see are folders on the metro screen to
    organize things better and an option to have the old start menu too.
    (I fake it with a toolbar currently)  Being able to close metro apps
    easily would be nice too.

--
    Bob Comer

On Sun, 30 Oct 2011 19:10:49 +0000, Ali1000 wrote:

>
    >
    >I bought a new laptop and i decided to keep Win8 in it and after using it for a month am i used to it and i kinda like it. Just one thing annoys me is that when i go to Metro i cant quickly easily access opened windows in explorer. I have to go back to desktop and then go the open window. Also there should be a way to customize Metro. I used bluepoison to change metro theme and it now more beautiful but i want more customization
    >
    >
    >Also Please in this window add workspace switcher. will make millions of people life a lot easier. I was thinking of integrating workspace switcher in the top of the metro

Bob Comer - Microsoft MVP Virtual Machine
    Monday, October 31, 2011 12:48 AM
  • Just one thing annoys me is that when i go to Metro i cant quickly easily access opened windows in explorer.

Do you have your keyboard?   Press Alt-Tab, same as ever.   If you don't have a keyboard I agree there is a bit less functionality available to mouse or touch users for this requirement.   One glaring deficiency IMO is Task Manager's lack of a Go To feature.   E.g. you can open TM and see the list of open Desktop Applications (and some of your metro apps with no way to know which is which--another issue) but then what?   Right-click, Open File Location?  Really?   Perhaps just for the Developer Preview?   ; }

---

Monday, October 31, 2011 9:41 PM
  • I bought a new laptop and i decided to keep Win8 in it and after using it for a month am i used to it and i kinda like it. Just one thing annoys me is that when i go to Metro i cant quickly easily access opened windows in explorer. I have to go back to desktop and then go the open window. Also there should be a way to customize Metro. I used bluepoison to change metro theme and it now more beautiful but i want more customization

Also Please in this window add workspace switcher. will make millions of people life a lot easier. I was thinking of integrating workspace switcher in the top of the metro

Dear Reader:

I have had a ASUS P5KE with a Q6600 chip and EVGA Gt8800 Card.  I got some research money and decided after 3.5 years it was time to replace the combination.  I got a P8P67 Asus with a Core i7 2600 and a GTX 460 with 12 GB of Corsair Ram.  The guys in the IT built it for me in my old ANTEC case with the old hard drives, but I had to buy a new powersupply and DVD.  460 sucks in the power.

Windows XP just blue screened when I tried to install it.  As I  have an upgrade of WIN7 I was stuck.  So I put WIN8 onto the machine.  I had a problem with the third bit of software and W8 did an interesting thing:

It gives you a screen that says something like this:  PC has encountered an error it cannot fix and will restart.  This appears to be a variation on the blue screen of death.  (It bluescreened nicely with XP).  It put the computer back to a clean install.  Not a great loss, but interesting.

I have put on a total of 188 programs, mainly of an engineering office bent.

The problem program was AutoCAD 12.  But, I had had a lot of problems putting ACAD 12 onto a Dell Precision 4600 last week, so I knew it was problematic.  A clean install on a new machine.  NET 4.5 was the problem that I could resolve on WIN7,  but not WIN8.  I have seen ACAD since 2.17f, never had such problems.  I abandoned 2012 for 2011.  No problems.  Of course I still prefer R11 for Windows, but I only have a locked version and it needs a printer port.  Note to AutoDESK, bring back a R11 for students in construction to learn simple drawing. Charge 100 each for the 2000 students per year.

I had three crashes as above, but only the first wiped out all the programs.

The Windows Club put out a nice metrocontroller program and I used that to switch off MC.  Easy and it let me load and keep gadgets.  I can switch it back on as required.  reminds me of LOTUS Improv, best spreadsheet program till QUANTRIX arrived, miles better than EXCEL or 123.  But LOTUS killed IMPROV, lost the plot and died, if Microsoft kill the windows interface they will lose people.  I change occasionally to MC on to fix stuff, but I do not need a maxi iPAD, I am an engineer.

MC is nice, but as happened in Holland it is a step to far to fast.  Like QIF files in Windows 1 or 2.  Nice but a step to early, 3.1 was so much better.

W8 really handled the creation of the RaID array for my data drives nicely, which protects along with daily backups from a W8 crash.  The ASUS board is miles in front of the Dell Precision and cost a lot less. 

Problem is the WD 10,000 rpm drive.  W8 and the Core i7 need a faster drive.  Got to look for some more money.

W8 is worth the upgrade without MC, MC is like the 13th pint of Guiness on a Friday night, nice, but do you really need it.  It will come, but if the first two programs written for W8 are to turn off MC, does this not tell you something.

PS: If you want a nice background have a look at the LAKELAND CAM web site.  Would make a great Windows Theme.  Hint to Microsoft.

Further hint ot Microsoft, give the W8 logo on the desktop a better name, the long set of numbers looks awful.

PS:  You really need to get W8, it is lot better.

An Engineer.

Tuesday, November 01, 2011 1:38 AM
  • I am sitting on WDP for already more than a month and got used to Metro with no problem.

Probably the only thing that's confusing is that the Metro desktop disappears each time you click wherever in the standard desktop. I am using dual-monitor configuration. Like this:

1. Press Start to show up the desktop on one of the monitors.
    2. Having Windows Forms apps opened on the second monitor, click on any of the windows on that monitor to get the window in focus.
    3. Notice that Metro desktop has disappeared from the first monitor!

I guess I'll make an additional thread and fire a defect/suggestion regarding this.

The second annoyance is that you can't move your Metro UI from one monitor to another unless you click the Move the Start screen here button. I don't want to move the Start screen here! I want my that very Metro UI app moved there and want all other apps remain on the main monitor. After all, it does not move the Start screen. It moves all the Metro screens!

Well this is the world we live in And these are the hands we're given...
    Tuesday, November 01, 2011 5:15 AM
  • I've been using Windows 8 for quite a while now. And I have to say, I like it a lot.
    I especially improvements like the new Task Manager are very welcome. The heat maps to indicate which program is using a lot of resources is fantastic. So much easier to read.
    The new copying dialog is also excellent (having all the copy processes in one place and being able to pause them is a handy tool).
    I also like the Metro Start Screen. Took a view days to get used to. It helped a lot to read the different blog posts about it and understand the underlying philosophy. And it does make a lot of sense (although using it with a track pad can be tedious at times). The search function is a magnificent feature. Just starting to type to get an app / program search is excellent.
    One thing I do miss though is something similar to the task bar. In a desktop environment it is extremely useful to have a select number of programs that one can reach just with one click. And for day to day work I still heavily rely on the desktop version (partly because most of my programs are running in this environment).
    What I would prefer for the future was an option for desktop PC users to keep the task bar, even when going to the start screen. But instead of automatically filling this bar with all apps that have been opened, there should be an easy way to pin a running app to it. So one would only keep the very frequently used apps down there and leave unimportant ones like the weather app. After all it only takes one more click to find those less important apps on the start screen.
    It would also make sense, because professional programs (CAD Software and such) probably won't make that heavy a use of live tiles. Therefore they could reside on the task bar for easy access, while social apps (facebook, weather, etc.) could be arranged on the first page of the start screen, nicely displaying their news...
    Oh yes: And as Exotic Hadron mentioned, I would very much like to see better and flexible ways to arrange a selection of programs in a large / multiple screen environment.
    Tuesday, November 01, 2011 12:46 PM

To answer your subject line, No, I haven't got used to Metro yet.  At first glance I thought it was cool!  But after actually using it daily, I find it dysfunctional, boring, anti-productive, and an inconvenience.  The more I use it, the more I despise it, and at this point I can't see how my opinion will change.  It reminds me of a childs toy or some of the old DOS menu interfaces I worked with eons ago.

And no, I'm not using a touch style device.  We have 10,000 computers in our corporate environment and none of them are touch.  If they were limited computing powered touch style devices, then I kind of get what Microsoft is doing with the Metro interface, but that's the whole point of my frustration and with Microsoft's ignorance and refusal to listen.  We are NOT using touch devices so why force a simpleton 'touch only design' menu onto a non-touch device?  It wouldn't hurt a thing to put a functional Start Menu on the Desktop Interface side since that is where 100% of our apps will run anyway.  We shouldn't even have to see Metro unless we want to run a true Metro app.  It seems Metro is designed for silly 'angry birds' useless apps that we aren't going to allow anyone to run anyway in our environment, so Metro will just get in the way of our users and the apps we run.

And does anyone know if non-Metro apps will run on a 'ARM' style touch device?  If not, what's the point of running Windows 8 on these devices?  I already have a limited computing powered cell phone I can browse the internet with along with 50 useless apps on it.

Tuesday, November 01, 2011 1:51 PM
  • You still can pin your Windows applications (but not Metro apps, which are available right from the desktop) to taskbar. Say, you want to pin your Outlook to the taskbar.

• Press WindowsKey to show the Metro desktop and then press WindowsKey+C, hit Enter.
    • Type outlook and switch to Applications.
    • Right-click the Outlook tile and choose Advanced at the bottom of the screen.
    • Select Pin to taskbar.

Tuesday, November 01, 2011 2:20 PM
  • If somebody would port their applications to ARM, why not? Not that it's an easy doing even having multiplatform compile support in .NET.

The problem is I doubt MSFT itself would wrap their Office in an APPX package and have it on shelves on the Marketplace. I'm afraid it's still will be a standard Windows Installer package. Or am I wrong?

Tuesday, November 01, 2011 2:24 PM