Windows phone 8 backward compatibility RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

i'm new to the windows phone development. I create a windows phone 8 apllication. can i install it in windows phone 7 without any modification?

If yes show me how

if no show me how i can achieve that

Monday, June 17, 2013 9:31 AM

Answers

• No, it is not backwards ("forwards"?) compatible.

However, if you don't need any of the new features, then you target "Windows Phone OS 7.1" (this is supported with the WP 8 SDK) and run the resulting code on both WP7 and WP8.

If you need something more sophisticated, try searching for "Portable Class Library" if you want some examples of sharing code between WP7 and WP8 applications.

• Edited by henricj Monday, June 17, 2013 10:34 AM "Backwards" or "forwards"?
    • Marked as answer by Sundar VMS Monday, June 17, 2013 11:39 AM
    Monday, June 17, 2013 10:33 AM

All replies

• No, it is not backwards ("forwards"?) compatible.

However, if you don't need any of the new features, then you target "Windows Phone OS 7.1" (this is supported with the WP 8 SDK) and run the resulting code on both WP7 and WP8.

If you need something more sophisticated, try searching for "Portable Class Library" if you want some examples of sharing code between WP7 and WP8 applications.

• Edited by henricj Monday, June 17, 2013 10:34 AM "Backwards" or "forwards"?
    • Marked as answer by Sundar VMS Monday, June 17, 2013 11:39 AM
    Monday, June 17, 2013 10:33 AM
  • Thanks for the immediate reply..

Monday, June 17, 2013 11:39 AM