Value cannot be null. Parameter name: source RRS feed

• Question

• User-855456975 posted

Hello,

I'm getting this error deploying a web application in Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard. IIS settings seems to be right in terms of Application Pool (.NET v4.5).

Value cannot be null.
    Parameter name: source
    Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.ServiceModel.FaultException`1[[System.ServiceModel.ExceptionDetail, System.ServiceModel, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089]]: Value cannot be null.
    Parameter name: source

Source Error:
    An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[FaultException`1: Value cannot be null.
    Parameter name: source]
       System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(IMessage reqMsg, IMessage retMsg) +14483202
       System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData& msgData, Int32 type) +622
       ROMA.FrontEnd.ServiceReference1.IFRONT_END_WCF_SERVICE.GetLoginUserDetail(String email, String password) +0
       ROMA.FrontEnd.Controllers.AccountController.Login(LoginModel model) +198
       lambda_method(Closure , ControllerBase , Object[] ) +127
       System.Web.Mvc.ReflectedActionDescriptor.Execute(ControllerContext controllerContext, IDictionary`2 parameters) +242
       System.Web.Mvc.ControllerActionInvoker.InvokeActionMethod(ControllerContext controllerContext, ActionDescriptor actionDescriptor, IDictionary`2 parameters) +39
       System.Web.Mvc.Async.AsyncControllerActionInvoker.<BeginInvokeSynchronousActionMethod>b__39(IAsyncResult asyncResult, ActionInvocation innerInvokeState) +12
       System.Web.Mvc.Async.WrappedAsyncResult`2.CallEndDelegate(IAsyncResult asyncResult) +139
       System.Web.Mvc.Async.AsyncInvocationWithFilters.<InvokeActionMethodFilterAsynchronouslyRecursive>b__3d() +112
       System.Web.Mvc.Async.<>c__DisplayClass46.<InvokeActionMethodFilterAsynchronouslyRecursive>b__3f() +452
       System.Web.Mvc.Async.<>c__DisplayClass33.<BeginInvokeActionMethodWithFilters>b__32(IAsyncResult asyncResult) +15
       System.Web.Mvc.Async.<>c__DisplayClass2b.<BeginInvokeAction>b__1c() +37
       System.Web.Mvc.Async.<>c__DisplayClass21.<BeginInvokeAction>b__1e(IAsyncResult asyncResult) +241
       System.Web.Mvc.Controller.<BeginExecuteCore>b__1d(IAsyncResult asyncResult, ExecuteCoreState innerState) +29
       System.Web.Mvc.Async.WrappedAsyncVoid`1.CallEndDelegate(IAsyncResult asyncResult) +111
       System.Web.Mvc.Controller.EndExecuteCore(IAsyncResult asyncResult) +53
       System.Web.Mvc.Async.WrappedAsyncVoid`1.CallEndDelegate(IAsyncResult asyncResult) +19
       System.Web.Mvc.MvcHandler.<BeginProcessRequest>b__5(IAsyncResult asyncResult, ProcessRequestState innerState) +51
       System.Web.Mvc.Async.WrappedAsyncVoid`1.CallEndDelegate(IAsyncResult asyncResult) +111
       System.Web.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute() +606
       System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously) +288

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:4.0.30319; ASP.NET Version:4.0.30319.34274

I already installed the web application in another Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard without any problem. The application works even in some Virtual Machines where it is installed.

Might you help me on finding and fixing this issue?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Best regards,
    Lorens

Monday, October 2, 2017 7:34 PM

All replies

• User1120430333 posted

[FaultException`1: Value cannot be null

You don't have a MVC issue. You have a WCF service issue where a method used by the service is throwing an exception.

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/home?forum=wcf

The above is where you should post.

The stacktrace posted is so garbled up with html stuff that it is hard to read, but it looks like it has something to do with login. You should have coded the solution against local IIS, the real one, and not IIS Express  with Visual Studio to expose the any issues before deployment to watch it blowup.   

Monday, October 2, 2017 10:58 PM
  • User-855456975 posted

Hello DA924,

thank you for your reply. I previously posted this question in another forum and they suggested me to post it here, so I suppose that step by step I will reach the right one ;-)

About what you wrote in relation to IIS, we installed it in local IIS before deploying it. The strange thing is that we created also a virtual machine server configuration similar to the one in which we are deploying the development, that is a virtual machine itself. It works un the virtual machine we prepared but not in the one in which we have to deploy it.

Now I posted the question in the forum you suggested me, so we can consider closed this thread.

Thanks and best regards,

Lorens

Tuesday, October 3, 2017 8:29 AM
  • User-855456975 posted

Sorry DA924,

as soon as I posted the question in the forum you suggested me they set it as a spam, because it is the same in which I posted the question two days ago. Yesterday I got the reply from one member of the forum suggesting me to post it here and now you are suggesting me to post it there.. what can I do now??

Thanks for any help on this matter.

Best regards,

Lorens

Tuesday, October 3, 2017 8:44 AM
  • User1120430333 posted

ROMA.FrontEnd.ServiceReference1.IFRONT_END_WCF_SERVICE.GetLoginUserDetail(String email, String password) +0</div> <div style="margin: 0;">   ROMA.FrontEnd.Controllers.AccountController.Login(LoginModel model)

the problem is between the controller and the service, and a null value parm  being passed to the service method. I suggest that you start logging data passed with log4net to see what is being passed at the time of the exception. 

Tuesday, October 3, 2017 9:27 AM