Dont know where to start..... RRS feed

• Question

• User1790523831 posted

Hi All,

I and fairly new to ASP and even newer to this site so here I go!

I want to learn how do something in ASP but because I dont know the name of the method, I can't research on how to do it so I hope someone can help?What I am trying to do can be found here.  Its the section in the main part of the site towards the bottom (Hot Products and Latest Stuff sections).I can see that they are using DIV's and I know they are created on the fly but what I cant find out is how and whats it's called?

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance,

James

Monday, July 7, 2008 4:18 PM

Answers

• User691211146 posted

Hi James,

Watch the free tutorial video's here:

http://www.asp.net/learn/videos/

definetly you will understand where to start and how to do thing sin asp.net

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, July 7, 2008 4:28 PM
  • User-821857111 posted

With that sort of thing, the easiest way to get started is to look at the source html from the page.  You will have already seen that each item is in a div with a css class called "nugget", and if you then look at the style sheet that is associated with the page, you will see that "nugget" has "float: left" given to it, which makes them flow horizonally.  They have also been sized to 270px wide, whcih makes 3 appear in a line before wrapping to the next line.  In ASP.NET, you can do this with a Repeater, and binding your data to it.  Then applying the correct html to the ItemTemplate so that each item appears in its own div with the correct CSS applied.

Monday, July 7, 2008 4:32 PM

All replies

• User691211146 posted

Hi James,

Watch the free tutorial video's here:

http://www.asp.net/learn/videos/

definetly you will understand where to start and how to do thing sin asp.net

Monday, July 7, 2008 4:28 PM
  • User-821857111 posted

With that sort of thing, the easiest way to get started is to look at the source html from the page.  You will have already seen that each item is in a div with a css class called "nugget", and if you then look at the style sheet that is associated with the page, you will see that "nugget" has "float: left" given to it, which makes them flow horizonally.  They have also been sized to 270px wide, whcih makes 3 appear in a line before wrapping to the next line.  In ASP.NET, you can do this with a Repeater, and binding your data to it.  Then applying the correct html to the ItemTemplate so that each item appears in its own div with the correct CSS applied.

Monday, July 7, 2008 4:32 PM
  • User1790523831 posted

Thanks Mike, at least I have something to research now [:)]

I will start to look around but do you know of a good tutorial to start me off?

Monday, July 7, 2008 4:43 PM
  • User-821857111 posted

It depends on what you want a tutorial on.  Loads of ASP.NET stuff can be found under the Learn link at the top of the page, but stuff like using float for divs etc are not ASP.NET specific.  They belong to html and css.  Try Googling CSS layout and flick through some of the results.  Before that, understanding the CSS box model (margins, padding etc) is vital: http://www.brainjar.com/css/positioning/default.asp

Monday, July 7, 2008 5:22 PM