Using SharePoint to send out Automatic Email notification based on Due Date RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I currently have a Document Library on my SharePoint site. It is basically a directory with forms that have to be revised bi-annually. Each document has a specific owner that I entered. I have also created a "last revision date" column and then there is a calculated column in which I display the "next revision date" which is calculated +2 years from the "last revision date" .

I have also formatted the dates so they only display the month/year. I basically want to create  a workflow in which when the "next revision date" approaches, it sends out an "Approval workflow" to the owner of that document to revise and complete the task.

I am fairly new to SharePoint, so please bear with me.

Thank you

Friday, October 31, 2014 2:04 PM

Answers

• You need to play around a little bit with Sharepoint Designer, to understand how it works.

the workflow will run independently on each file. If the owner means the person o create the item, you can use "Created By" field. if not, you can create an additional field to select the owner. Than you can replace the user of the approval process on SPDesigner by this field.

Friday, October 31, 2014 5:39 PM

All replies

• So, you need to create a workflow to approve the document.

I would recommend you to use SharePoint Designer to create the workflow. Open you web, go to workflows and try to make a copy of the Sharepoint default workflow named "Approval workflow".

That copy will have already an approval process applied to the current Item. You only need to add an activity before: "Pause workflow until date". this way you workflow will stand by until the date you have defined.

Friday, October 31, 2014 5:15 PM
  • Alright, so for each different item, since they will have different due dates, the workflow would be applied to all of the items on my list?

Also how would I assign the workflow to send it to the respective owner of the item?

Friday, October 31, 2014 5:31 PM
  • You need to play around a little bit with Sharepoint Designer, to understand how it works.

the workflow will run independently on each file. If the owner means the person o create the item, you can use "Created By" field. if not, you can create an additional field to select the owner. Than you can replace the user of the approval process on SPDesigner by this field.

Friday, October 31, 2014 5:39 PM