none
Work distribution on new assignments RRS feed

• Question

• I have a question regarding the distribution of work, when adding a new assignment to a task using PSI for Project Server 2007. According to the SDK "When adding a resource to a task, the PSI does not automatically redistribute work the way Project Professional does. It is up to the developer to choose and explicitly set the work distribution on the assignments". (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee767706.aspx). This is fine with me, as long as the task's work does not change.
    But in many examples I have done, the new task's assignment has non-zero work (equal to the task's other assignments' work), the other task's assignments keep their work and as a result the task work changes by an amount equal to the new assignment's work. 
    Is there any way for PSI to simulate Project Client's behaviour on this issue or at least to preserve the task's work? 
    Setting the new assignment's work to zero does it, but only temporarily, as adding actual work to the new assignment will also change the new assignment's work to non-zero and then change the task's work.
    Monday, September 20, 2010 2:13 PM

Answers

• Hi Andreas,

As you cannot control the effort-driven setting for a task using PSI, setting the assignment work to zero is the only way to go. The only alternative is to retreive the task total work, create the assignment and redistribute the work using PSI (make sure not to delete any actual work this way).

As for your question/remark about actual work changing the task's work: this is by design and this is exactly what project does. If someone does more work than initially planned, the total amount of work for that assignment (and as a result the task) is increased. Project will NEVER redistribute the work over the different assignments when actual work is entered (it's not because one resource needs more effort, that someone else automatically needs less effort to complete the task).

I hope this helps,
    Hans

My EPM blog: Projectopolis
    Tuesday, September 21, 2010 6:59 AM