report from infopath document library RRS feed

• Question

• here I have a document library containing many infopath forms.now i want to know how to get reports from the fields of infopath forms.

Thursday, October 6, 2011 9:10 AM

Answers

• In general, you can:

1. write a sql server stored procedure to parse infopath form xml into what you need
    2. write a C# program to read infopath form files (Through UNC path or sp web service) and get the xml, call the stored procedure
    3. Depends on your requirement, you can call the C# program many ways (In my case, I am using a third party tool Automate to read xml and schedule the jobs)

I found out that a lot of time requirements change very often, much easier to handle many things in SQL without compiling and deploying. So ideally after you set up the framework, you really need to just change your stored procedure to generate the data, from there you can create your report using other tools (SSRS, Crystal or just Excel).

• Marked as answer by Wayne Fan Saturday, October 15, 2011 12:21 PM
    Friday, October 7, 2011 2:52 PM

All replies

• You can merge forms to get some data together.

Or you get really just query xml of the forms to do some fancy data retrieval and then reporting in SQL.

I just finished one report and there are several tricks if you are not familar with xml query by SQL. Let me know that works for you and I can send you my stored procedure for you to start.

Thursday, October 6, 2011 2:56 PM
  • hi Guangming

thx for Reply

i am familiar with xml query by Linq

please explain more about it

Thursday, October 6, 2011 3:07 PM
  • I meant you can just write sql statements to retrieve your data from xml:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms345117(v=sql.90).aspx

Thursday, October 6, 2011 4:41 PM
  • thx Guangming

i read it

may explain how use it in sharepoint and how solve my problem

Thursday, October 6, 2011 5:46 PM
  • In general, you can:

1. write a sql server stored procedure to parse infopath form xml into what you need
    2. write a C# program to read infopath form files (Through UNC path or sp web service) and get the xml, call the stored procedure
    3. Depends on your requirement, you can call the C# program many ways (In my case, I am using a third party tool Automate to read xml and schedule the jobs)

I found out that a lot of time requirements change very often, much easier to handle many things in SQL without compiling and deploying. So ideally after you set up the framework, you really need to just change your stored procedure to generate the data, from there you can create your report using other tools (SSRS, Crystal or just Excel).

• Marked as answer by Wayne Fan Saturday, October 15, 2011 12:21 PM
    Friday, October 7, 2011 2:52 PM