none
Windows CE app starts while debugging from VSTD 8.0 but does not start directly on the device RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am porting an Win CE 6.0 app to a new hardware (Win CE 6.0 on ARM cortex A5). 

When I copy all the app files directly from the older Win CE 6.0 to the new hardware based on WIN CE 6.0 device and launch the program it does not start. But when I try to debug from VSTD 8.0 it starts.

Interestingly, after stopping debug session on VSTD 8.0 it can be started directly from the device by double clicking on the application.

Any help on this will be highly appreciated. 

Thanks,

Arif

• Edited by MarifCA Thursday, August 20, 2015 10:56 PM
    Thursday, August 20, 2015 10:54 PM

All replies

• The app doesn't start on both WIN CE 6.0 and WEC 7.

But if you first reinstall the NETCFv35.wce.armv4.cab (included in the download link) over the existing installation (force installation) then run the app then it starts both on WIN CE 6.0 and WEC 7

Every time after a reboot the NETCFv35.wce.armv4.cab needs to be reinstalled to start the app.

I can also debug the app from VSTD 2008 which actually gave me the clue to deploy the NETCFv35.wce.armv4.cab at the very beginning.

Friday, August 21, 2015 8:04 PM
  • Hello Arif,

I think you have answered your own question.  Your application is dependent on CF 3.5 but that does not come built-in to your CE 6.0 device.  When you build your installer for your application, you should include the installer for CF 3.5 as well. 

By reboot I assume you mean a cold boot that loses the registry and potentially the applications as well so it is not surprising that you need to re-install.Note: If you compile your application for CF 2.0 that may actually be resident on your CE 6.0 device but you would have to confirm that with your device provider.

PS: Here are the instructions for creating a CF 2.0 cab file https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa446504.aspx

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Monday, August 24, 2015 8:21 PM