Where is the option to shut down my computer? Do I need a license key for Windows Developer Preview since it shows that it's an evaluation copy?

Question

• Original title: License Key & Shut down key

Hi all,

1. I went through a few posts below. I downloaded Windows 8 and burnt the image to a DVD and it checked for license land it installed successful. It didn't prompt me for a license key. After installation I installation I found a line saying this is a evaluation copy. Does it mean I need a license key???

2. When I'm typing all of a sudden the cursor goes to some position and it continues typing. Is anyone facing the same problem? This is totally disturbing me when I'm working.

3. Where is the shutdown option to shut down your computer. It shows me only a log off option but  NO shut down. Can anyone say how do I shut down my computer.

I did an upgrade installation inorder to keep up my files unchanged, but after installation I found all softwares for removed from my computer. Example - skype, Microsoft Office, Adobe and so on..... 

I kindly request someone to help me on this.

Saturday, November 26, 2011 5:52 PM

Answers

• 1. The key is included in the Developer Preview. It will expire in March 2012.

3. Power Off Or Restart
    A. Move mouse to bottom left of screen
    B. Click Settings on the menu
    C. Click Power, then Shutdown/Restart

4. Programs need to be reinstalled. You can keep accounts, files, and settings when upgrading.

Saturday, November 26, 2011 7:34 PM

All replies

• 1. The key is included in the Developer Preview. It will expire in March 2012.

3. Power Off Or Restart
    A. Move mouse to bottom left of screen
    B. Click Settings on the menu
    C. Click Power, then Shutdown/Restart

4. Programs need to be reinstalled. You can keep accounts, files, and settings when upgrading.

Saturday, November 26, 2011 7:34 PM
  • Hello

Thanks a lot for the help that you have provided. Yes now I'm able to shut the machine OFF.

Can some one please help me with the cursor problem. Its really like a head ache. I'm not able to compose a mail or even a sentence properly. Every now and then it goes somewhere and continue the typing. 

Anything and everything is for a period of time. - Sockkalingam
    Saturday, November 26, 2011 7:53 PM
  • Hey Sockkalingam,

Please see the responses in your other thread for further troubleshooting of your cursor problem:
    After upgrading from Windows 7, Windows Developer Preview is listed as an Evaluation copy - My cursor moves unexpectedly

Steven
    Monday, November 28, 2011 10:09 PM
  • Hi all,

Finally I installed Win 7 Ultimate in my Laptop. Almost two days went with no use in installing Win 7 and updates. Need to install all software as well :-(

Anything and everything is for a period of time. - Sockkalingam
    Wednesday, November 30, 2011 10:20 AM