none
Add-ins vs Templates Only RRS feed

• Question

• We are considering hosting some remote computing that would involve some Word templates we've been using in-house for years.

Depending on how we decide security will be set it's possible that an advanced user may be able to download one of our templates with all of our code.

Given that we now have the ability to create add-ins with Visual Studio, would our code would be better protected from download if we created add-ins rather then just using a templates?

Thus far I've only written an add-in for Outlook so I'm not sure how the Word add-ins work. Is the macro code still be stored in the template or is there a template that's only used for formatting?

Many thanks,
    Ken

Monday, October 16, 2017 12:18 AM

Answers

• Hi KenKrugh,

I think you could use password to protect your VBA project in your template so other user could not see the code in the template.

For protecting VBA project, please refer to

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/6760981/lock-down-microsoft-excel-macro

For code in add-ins, there is no macro in VSTO add-ins.

Code in VSTO add-ins would be compiled to DLLs. Users would not see the source code unless decompiling the dlls. 

Best Regards,

Terry

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by KenKrugh Monday, October 16, 2017 10:43 AM
    Monday, October 16, 2017 10:11 AM

All replies

• Hi KenKrugh,

I think you could use password to protect your VBA project in your template so other user could not see the code in the template.

For protecting VBA project, please refer to

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/6760981/lock-down-microsoft-excel-macro

For code in add-ins, there is no macro in VSTO add-ins.

Code in VSTO add-ins would be compiled to DLLs. Users would not see the source code unless decompiling the dlls. 

Best Regards,

Terry

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by KenKrugh Monday, October 16, 2017 10:43 AM
    Monday, October 16, 2017 10:11 AM
  • Yeah, I'm familiar with using a password to protect a template. But I also know we've downloaded a program that breaks that when someone FORGOT the password on a template a few years back.

Decompiliing the DLLs in the add-in, I'm guessing, would be considerably more difficult.

Thanks very much for taking the time to answer.

Best,
    Ken

Monday, October 16, 2017 10:43 AM