none
copy and merge db

Question

• Hi,

I have to provide a DB from current 2008 for merging with a newly created DB on a new 2012 server.

From what I found a DB Copy will be an appropriate action for merging with a new DB.

As never did it before, should I consider "other" things to do/know prior to simply perform a Copy on DB and provide it to an App Vendor?

Thanks.

--- When you hit a wrong note its the next note that makes it good or bad. --- Miles Davis

Thursday, February 16, 2017 3:42 PM

Answers

• If I understand your question, Copy Database will only copy database from one SQL instance to another, rather than merge database contents from one database into another existing database.

For merging data (or any other db objects) from SQL 2008 database into an existing database on another SQL2012 instance, you could use data export wizard in Object Explorer of SSMS:

If you're wanting to move a SQL2008 database from one server to another new SQL2012 server, then the Copy Database Wizard should work for you.

Another option is to take a FULL database backup of the database on SQL2008 instance, copy the backup file to the new SQL2012 server, and then restore the backup onto the new SQL2012 instance. Optionally, you can switch the Compatibility Level of the database from 100 to 110 at that point.

HTH,

Phil Streiff, MCDBA, MCITP, MCSA

• Edited by philfactor Thursday, February 16, 2017 6:06 PM
    • Marked as answer by pob579 Thursday, February 16, 2017 6:38 PM
    Thursday, February 16, 2017 5:59 PM

All replies

• If I understand your question, Copy Database will only copy database from one SQL instance to another, rather than merge database contents from one database into another existing database.

For merging data (or any other db objects) from SQL 2008 database into an existing database on another SQL2012 instance, you could use data export wizard in Object Explorer of SSMS:

If you're wanting to move a SQL2008 database from one server to another new SQL2012 server, then the Copy Database Wizard should work for you.

Another option is to take a FULL database backup of the database on SQL2008 instance, copy the backup file to the new SQL2012 server, and then restore the backup onto the new SQL2012 instance. Optionally, you can switch the Compatibility Level of the database from 100 to 110 at that point.

HTH,

Phil Streiff, MCDBA, MCITP, MCSA

• Edited by philfactor Thursday, February 16, 2017 6:06 PM
    • Marked as answer by pob579 Thursday, February 16, 2017 6:38 PM
    Thursday, February 16, 2017 5:59 PM
  • Phil,

so Copy wizard is for copy/moving DB

Export Wizard is for Merging!

THANKS!

--- When you hit a wrong note its the next note that makes it good or bad. --- Miles Davis

Thursday, February 16, 2017 6:38 PM