none
ActiveX Objects Don't Run Code When Clicked after installing SP3 for 2007 RRS feed

• Question

• I have an application that I built using Excel 2013 for a client who uses Excel 2007. Up until mid-December of last year, the application ran fine on the client's machines.    Today we found that their version does not work - specifically, clicking an ActiveX command button does not result in code running.  Of course, we double-checked to make sure macros were enabled etc.  We tested other files and got the same result. We tried running them off of thumb drives, to no avail. We then learned from their IT guy that a MS security patch, 2984942, was installed on 12/12.  Has anyone experienced any issues running VBA code in either 2007 or 2013 after installing that patch? What am I missing?

Thanks in Advance.

Bugless

Thursday, January 29, 2015 6:26 PM

Answers

• I have an application that I built using Excel 2013 for a client who uses Excel 2007. Up until mid-December of last year, the application ran fine on the client's machines.    Today we found that their version does not work - specifically, clicking an ActiveX command button does not result in code running.  Of course, we double-checked to make sure macros were enabled etc.  We tested other files and got the same result. We tried running them off of thumb drives, to no avail. We then learned from their IT guy that a MS security patch, 2984942, was installed on 12/12.  Has anyone experienced any issues running VBA code in either 2007 or 2013 after installing that patch? What am I missing?

Thanks in Advance.

Bugless

Yes, recent update in December broke ActiveX objects in Office. Solution is simple. Close all instances of Excel and other Office products. Do a wild card search for "exd" files (not exe !).  Delete all the exd files.

• Edited by John Martel Thursday, January 29, 2015 7:39 PM
    • Marked as answer by Bugless Friday, January 30, 2015 6:07 PM
    Thursday, January 29, 2015 7:38 PM
  • Thanks John.  One other question:  They are now running Office 365, so do they have to close all instances of Excel and other Office products on just their machines, or would this have to happen company-wide, while the exd files are removed from the server-side Office 365 (I'm not sure where all of the instances live).

Bugless

Just on their machines
    • Marked as answer by Bugless Friday, January 30, 2015 6:29 PM
    Friday, January 30, 2015 6:02 PM

All replies

Thanks in Advance.

Bugless

Yes, recent update in December broke ActiveX objects in Office. Solution is simple. Close all instances of Excel and other Office products. Do a wild card search for "exd" files (not exe !).  Delete all the exd files.

• Edited by John Martel Thursday, January 29, 2015 7:39 PM
    • Marked as answer by Bugless Friday, January 30, 2015 6:07 PM
    Thursday, January 29, 2015 7:38 PM
  • Thanks John.  One other question:  They are now running Office 365, so do they have to close all instances of Excel and other Office products on just their machines, or would this have to happen company-wide, while the exd files are removed from the server-side Office 365 (I'm not sure where all of the instances live).

Bugless

Friday, January 30, 2015 5:47 PM

Bugless

Just on their machines
    • Marked as answer by Bugless Friday, January 30, 2015 6:29 PM
    Friday, January 30, 2015 6:02 PM
  • Thanks!

Bugless

Friday, January 30, 2015 6:07 PM