Publish form in one site library, store form information and workflow in separate site library RRS feed

• Question

• I would like to publish an InfoPath form to a SharePoint 2007 using MOSS 2007 Form Library, but when the customer submits the form, I would like those results to be stored on another site.  I would like to have the workflow executed from the secondary site as well.

Both Site Libraries are part of the same master site.  However, what I am creating is a form that needs to be placed on the main site where all users can access the form, but then when it is submitted only the IT staff can see the document.  I used this link: http://claytoncobb.wordpress.com/2009/06/20/auto-generating-filenames-for-infopath-forms/ to create the form properly.

1. Form is accessed through Library A and user selects the Submit button.

2. Workflow is executed and all of the form information is accessible on the Library B (where security is set up so only a certain group of people can access the information)

I have been attempting to research, I also went through Forum blogs on this site.  Any assistance would be truly appreciated.

Thanks,

ITGirl66219

• Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Friday, March 18, 2011 7:13 AM InfoPath: not needed. Posted to InfoPath forum
    Thursday, March 17, 2011 7:59 PM

Answers

• I don't think this is a good idea, because people can only submit to locations where they have access.  You said security would be set up for only a certain group, but every single person who submits a form there would have to at least have the Add Items permission, which includes Read.  Also, if you submit to a site that is separate from the form template, then you will also have issues with the form template and forms being separated.  That's not a good design.

The workflow part isn't important.  Your workflow will start wherever the item is submitted.

What do you mean by "master site"?  YOu initially said you wanted the form to go to another site, but then you referred to "Site Libraries" (there is no such thing) and said they are part of the SAME site.  Can you clarify that?  Separate sites or same site?

If you don't want people to see forms after submitting, then use a workflow or event handler to dynamically change permissions after the form is submitted.  I do this all the time, and I use workflows created with SharePoint Designer.  To dynamically change permissions will require the custom activities: Useful Sharepoint Designer Custom Workflow Activities

SharePoint Architect || Microsoft MVP || My Blog
    Planet Technologies || SharePoint Task Force
    • Marked as answer by David HM Monday, March 28, 2011 1:00 AM
    Sunday, March 20, 2011 5:10 AM
  • It is two separate URLs: 

https://sharepoint.MYDDOMAIN.edu/spgs/default.aspx= Master site page for collection where I would like to have the form published

https://sharepoint.MYDOMAIN.edu/spgs/bakertech/default.aspx = Site where I would like to have the forms saved

I will look into the SP Designer Custom Workflow Activies site. 

Tuesday, March 22, 2011 3:04 PM

All replies

• Hi, you can publish your form to SiteA (we'll say SiteA is where the customer access the form to fill out). You can configure the submit button to submit to SiteB (the IT staff site).  If you attach a workflow to SiteB it will be executed when a user submits the form.  Your publish and submit location do not need to be the same.  Something else I would like to suggest - is that your customers may want to see a form they submitted.  You could have your form submit to both locations and change the view on SiteA to filter items to only show where created by is equal to [Me] (just a thought).
    Friday, March 18, 2011 12:47 PM
  • Are you aware of any instrutional tutorials, links, instructions that show me how to set up the publish/save options and the Workflow?  I am having trouble finding valid instructions/solutions.  I'm using SharePoint 07 with MOSS.
    Friday, March 18, 2011 1:35 PM
  • This site helped me a TON when I first started with infopath forms:

http://www.bizsupportonline.net/sharepoint-infopath-integration.htm 

Friday, March 18, 2011 2:53 PM
  • I don't think this is a good idea, because people can only submit to locations where they have access.  You said security would be set up for only a certain group, but every single person who submits a form there would have to at least have the Add Items permission, which includes Read.  Also, if you submit to a site that is separate from the form template, then you will also have issues with the form template and forms being separated.  That's not a good design.

The workflow part isn't important.  Your workflow will start wherever the item is submitted.

What do you mean by "master site"?  YOu initially said you wanted the form to go to another site, but then you referred to "Site Libraries" (there is no such thing) and said they are part of the SAME site.  Can you clarify that?  Separate sites or same site?

If you don't want people to see forms after submitting, then use a workflow or event handler to dynamically change permissions after the form is submitted.  I do this all the time, and I use workflows created with SharePoint Designer.  To dynamically change permissions will require the custom activities: Useful Sharepoint Designer Custom Workflow Activities

SharePoint Architect || Microsoft MVP || My Blog
    Planet Technologies || SharePoint Task Force
    Sunday, March 20, 2011 5:10 AM
  • It is two separate URLs: 

https://sharepoint.MYDDOMAIN.edu/spgs/default.aspx= Master site page for collection where I would like to have the form published

https://sharepoint.MYDOMAIN.edu/spgs/bakertech/default.aspx = Site where I would like to have the forms saved

I will look into the SP Designer Custom Workflow Activies site. 

Tuesday, March 22, 2011 3:04 PM