none
Report Viewer problem importing 2008 vb net to 2010 vb net RRS feed

• Question

• I am on the evaluation on VS 2010. I have a project that I imported to 2010 from VS 2008. It appeared it all went smoothly on import. However; when I tried to run the program I received a lot of errors related to the reportviewer. It wouldn't load the control at all and I couldn't even find the control in tools.

I do not use crystal reports, this is the reportviewer control from Microsoft. I was able to move from 2005 to 2008 without any issues but this one would be a problem for me, since I have a lot of reports and do not want to start over again with re writing those reports.

Please let me know what the issue is and how to fix this.

Monday, August 9, 2010 9:37 AM

Answers

• You were able to move from 2005 to 2008 without additional configuration because they ship the same ReportViewer version. However VS2010 ships a new ReportViewer control, and you'll need to update all your project references from the 9.0 viewer to 10.0 viewer (i.e. references in the References folder, the Web.config/App.config file). For ASP.NET, you also need to update the viewer reference in your ASPX page.

There are functionality differences between the 2010 ReportViewer and the 2008 ReportViewer as well. For example, the ASP.NET viewer is now an AJAX viewer and requires a ScriptManager in your page. For more information, see http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee960138.aspx.

Cephas Lin This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties.
    • Marked as answer by mindserve Thursday, August 12, 2010 12:46 PM
    Monday, August 9, 2010 3:03 PM

All replies

• You were able to move from 2005 to 2008 without additional configuration because they ship the same ReportViewer version. However VS2010 ships a new ReportViewer control, and you'll need to update all your project references from the 9.0 viewer to 10.0 viewer (i.e. references in the References folder, the Web.config/App.config file). For ASP.NET, you also need to update the viewer reference in your ASPX page.

There are functionality differences between the 2010 ReportViewer and the 2008 ReportViewer as well. For example, the ASP.NET viewer is now an AJAX viewer and requires a ScriptManager in your page. For more information, see http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee960138.aspx.

• Marked as answer by mindserve Thursday, August 12, 2010 12:46 PM
    Monday, August 9, 2010 3:03 PM
  • I tried that and ended up with both the 9 and 10 as a reference. Not sure how that would affect my customers. would they need both since a reference is for both viewers. I tried to remove the 9 and it broke the project. Added it back ....

VS express had no problems until I installed the pro version...now both throw errors no matter what version I have referenced in there. Odd behavior for a pro version.

Can we distribute reports in VS Express?

Monday, August 9, 2010 3:47 PM
  • I'd say the best thing to do is to create a new project and put a ReportViewer control in your app, and see how the references are made in the Web.config and ASPX files, then reproduce it in your upgraded project.

If you remove the 9 reference and "break" your project (you should explain what exactly is happening), that might mean that something is still pointing to the 9.0 version instead of the 10.0 version, such as the reference in your ASPX file.

Don't know what you mean by "distribute reports". RDLC reports are just files on your file system.

Monday, August 9, 2010 9:24 PM