StorageFile.GetFileFromPathAsync copying files from a network - Does not work !!

Question

• Hello

I am writing a Line of Business app for windows 8 and part of the process is a background task that will copy image files from a central UNC path to the local documents dir in order that they can be displayed in a loop on a page..

I have read the document below that would indicate that this is possible but I keep getting access denied errors.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/hh967755.aspx

I am testing the std File Access Sample and have changed one line of code in the constants.cs

I have turned on EVERY Capability and added the file ext and set file open / picker as allowed

The unc is read write for everyone and is on the same machine

Has anyone Ever got this to work ??

private async void Initialize()

{
                try
                {
                    //sampleFile = await Windows.Storage.KnownFolders.DocumentsLibrary.GetFileAsync(filename);
                    string myfile = @"\\ALL387\Temp\testfile.txt";
                    sampleFile = await Windows.Storage.StorageFile.GetFileFromPathAsync(myfile);

}
                catch (FileNotFoundException)
                {
                    // sample file doesn't exist so scenario one must be run
                }

catch (Exception e)
                {
                    var fred = e.Message;

}

I am also considering converting the inc share to a web site, would this work ? Does anyone have a sample for reading all files returned from a call to a browsable web folder ?

TIA

Sunday, March 03, 2013 8:29 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I finally got this to work.

It seems that you cannot open the files on the remote unc path despite all the settings.

I ended up doing a copy of the files to a localknown dir and opening them there

one other point to note... I did this with a background maint task but despite what the tutorials say the ony way that would work was to place the entire copy function and code into a separate win RT component project..

Thanks

B...

Tuesday, March 05, 2013 1:10 AM

All replies

• Did you do this step?

Note  You must add File Type Associations to your app manifest that declare specific file types that your app can access in this location.

-Jeff

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)

Monday, March 04, 2013 6:05 PM
  • Hi,

I finally got this to work.

It seems that you cannot open the files on the remote unc path despite all the settings.

I ended up doing a copy of the files to a localknown dir and opening them there

one other point to note... I did this with a background maint task but despite what the tutorials say the ony way that would work was to place the entire copy function and code into a separate win RT component project..

Thanks

B...

Tuesday, March 05, 2013 1:10 AM