none
Object, Microsoft Library Referrence and LASsie RRS feed

• Question

• Hi n Happy New Year to all!!

I'm getting Error: 438, Message: Object doesn't support this property or method. I'm getting this error while using LASsie from PetersSoftware for permissions and this happens when I try to put restriction on some Control on the Form. It works fine if i put restriction on full form, but whenever I try to  do this for the 'Control' i get into this error.

Debug shows that I'm getting error when i use 'obj.Name' object on line 2 and 3 of following procedure. obj is defined as Dim obj AS Object, but I could not find this object has been initialized anywhere using 'Set obj = ...' in the program except in the end Set obj = Nothing.

I could guess that question is not clear enough as I'm not sure what more should I provide in this regard... and this is first time i'm coming across 'Object' type, but any direction will be helpful. Reference Library i think is set for 'Object' types or else i would get some other error?

Thanks in advance,
    K

1: Do While Not rst.EOF
    2:   Debug.Print obj.Name
    3:    If rst!IsObjectBased And rst!ObjectName = obj.Name And rst!Restricted 4: Then
    ...     '* This form is restricted for the current user
            'mb "You are not allowed to view this " & strObjType & "."
            iDenyAccessToThisObject = True
            GoTo Continue
        End If
        rst.MoveNext
    Loop
    Saturday, December 31, 2016 8:19 PM

Answers

• Hi KhurramKZ,

First of all I want to inform you that your issue is related with 3rd party Addon.

we don't have information regarding this addon.

from the error ,"438, Message: Object doesn't support this property or method".

below can be the reason for this error.

Not all objects support all properties and methods. This error has the following cause and solution: 

• You specified a method or property that doesn't exist for this Automation object

See the object's documentation for more information on the object and check the spellings of properties and methods.

• You specified a Friend procedure to be called late bound. 

The name of a Friend procedure must be known at compile time. It can't appear in a late-bound call.

Reference:

Object doesn't support this property or method (Error 438)

try to look for the reference that you need to add to run the code.

i can understand that you had paid for this addon that's why you are not posting the code.

without that we are not able to see what actually going there.

it is better that you try to contact the vendor of the Addon and asked for the support as you had already paid for that.

Regards

Deepak

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by KhurramKZ Tuesday, January 3, 2017 3:48 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by KhurramKZ Tuesday, January 3, 2017 4:02 AM
    • Marked as answer by KhurramKZ Tuesday, January 3, 2017 4:02 AM
    Monday, January 2, 2017 1:26 AM

All replies

• Have you contacted Peter's Software's support?

Have you checked their documentation and example.

Daniel Pineault, 2010-2016 Microsoft MVP Professional Support: http://www.cardaconsultants.com MS Access Tips and Code Samples: http://www.devhut.net

Saturday, December 31, 2016 10:03 PM
  • Mr. Peter is not interested to reply once i purchased the product. Tried several times earlier, but not this time.

I've checked documentation and examples, all understood and sample database works fine.

Sunday, January 1, 2017 10:03 AM
  • Hi KhurramKZ,

First of all I want to inform you that your issue is related with 3rd party Addon.

we don't have information regarding this addon.

from the error ,"438, Message: Object doesn't support this property or method".

below can be the reason for this error.

Not all objects support all properties and methods. This error has the following cause and solution: 

• You specified a method or property that doesn't exist for this Automation object

See the object's documentation for more information on the object and check the spellings of properties and methods.

• You specified a Friend procedure to be called late bound. 

The name of a Friend procedure must be known at compile time. It can't appear in a late-bound call.

Reference:

Object doesn't support this property or method (Error 438)

try to look for the reference that you need to add to run the code.

i can understand that you had paid for this addon that's why you are not posting the code.

without that we are not able to see what actually going there.

it is better that you try to contact the vendor of the Addon and asked for the support as you had already paid for that.

Regards

Deepak

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by KhurramKZ Tuesday, January 3, 2017 3:48 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by KhurramKZ Tuesday, January 3, 2017 4:02 AM
    • Marked as answer by KhurramKZ Tuesday, January 3, 2017 4:02 AM
    Monday, January 2, 2017 1:26 AM
  • Hi KhurramKZ,

I have one e-mail message from you on this subject from 2:41am this morning. Did you try to send other messages prior to this? If so, I'm sorry that I did not receive them. Please check the e-mail address that you sent to. Our technical support e-mail is info@peterssoftware.com or you can e-mail me directly at peter@peterssoftware.com.

I replied to your e-mail with some things to try. I suspect it is an issue with module references, or it could be that you may not have followed the source code version installation instructions which happens with some users from time to time.

All the best,

Peter De Baets | Peter's Software - Microsoft Access Tools for Developers | http://www.peterssoftware.com

• Edited by pdebaets Monday, January 2, 2017 5:39 AM
    Monday, January 2, 2017 5:39 AM
  • Got it. Object wasn't the correct form, that's why i was getting this error. Thanks for the hint. I was ignoring this earlier assuming it couldn't happen!!!

Cheers

Monday, January 2, 2017 12:14 PM
  • Thank you Peter for your reply, I've received your email reply now.

Last time when I had an error i sent three emails to @info... without answer, but it was my corporate email address that I used for communication during purchase. Strange to hear it doesn't reach you anymore.

Problem is sorted now, will get back to you if i'll again come across something out of my understanding.

Thank you

Monday, January 2, 2017 12:18 PM
  • Hi KhurramKZ,

from your last post it's looks like your issue is solved now.

so please try to mark the appropriate suggestion as an answer.

it will help us to close this thread.

if you not take mark action then thread will open forever.

so take the mark action as soon as possible.

Regards

Deepak

MSDN Community Support

Tuesday, January 3, 2017 3:23 AM
  • Hi Deepak,

sorry about that. i just didn't immediately marked as answer because i was confused about something and that is...

I was using onLoad event, but I should have used onOpen as per documentation. This solved my problem. Though I'm not clear why destination form is losing focus when it moves from onOpen to onLoad. Shouldn't it keep the focus theoretically between onOpen and onLoad events?

Instinct was, I will research myself and then come back post the question if I won't get the answer. Hasn't got clear answer as yet though!

BR,
    K

Tuesday, January 3, 2017 4:07 AM