Connecting to Azure service via SSMS. RRS feed

• Question

• Either it is being changed or there is something that I don't understand. According to https://www.windowsazure.com/en-us/develop/net/how-to-guides/service-bus-topics/ the connection string is of the form 

Endpoint=sb://<yourServiceNamespace>.servicebus.windows.net/;SharedSecretIssuer=<issuerName>;SharedSecretValue=<yourDefaultKey>

But when I connect using SSMS I am only successful when I use the URL

<yourServerName>.database.windows.net

Where <yourServerName> is the seeming random name given to the service by the cloud when I setupthe server. Is the "path" different for SSMS? There doesn't seem to be an option described for creating a server in the above tutorial. What happens to the server name when I create a new database? Will it automatically be created under the server that is already created? How do I create more than one server? Thank you.

Kevin Burton

• Edited by KevinBurton Wednesday, October 10, 2012 8:46 PM Update
    Wednesday, October 10, 2012 8:44 PM

Answers

• No, the credentials aren't the same. The two services are completely independent.
    • Marked as answer by KevinBurton Thursday, October 11, 2012 7:40 PM
    Thursday, October 11, 2012 12:27 AM

All replies

• I'm a bit confused. What are you trying to connect to? The link you mention and that first connection string are for Service Bus, but SQL Server Management Studio is a tool for connecting to a database. The second connection string you mentioned is one for a Windows Azure SQL Database (where SSMS is an appropriate tool).

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 10:09 PM
  • I guess I am confused also. I guess I am not used to have a connection string associated with something other than a database. Are the credentials (SQL credentials for the database connection and SharedSecretIssuer and SharedSecretValue for the Service Bus connection) the same for both connection strings?

Kevin Burton

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 10:46 PM
  • No, the credentials aren't the same. The two services are completely independent.
    • Marked as answer by KevinBurton Thursday, October 11, 2012 7:40 PM
    Thursday, October 11, 2012 12:27 AM