none
VS 2015 - Launching Asp.net Core app is slow because it cant find PDBs

Question

• Hi All,

I have VS2015 Community with Update 2. I am trying out Asp.net Core. What i notice is that running a project takes a long time because VS keeps trying to find the PDB files.

How do i fix this?

here is what i seen in the output window

'dnx.exe' (CLR v4.0.30319: DefaultDomain): Loaded 'C:\Users\Tariq\.dnx\packages\Microsoft.AspNet.Server.Kestrel\1.0.0-rc1-final\lib\dnx451\Microsoft.AspNet.Server.Kestrel.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
    'dnx.exe' (CLR v4.0.30319: DefaultDomain): Loaded 'C:\Users\Tariq\.dnx\packages\Microsoft.AspNet.Hosting\1.0.0-rc1-final\lib\dnx451\Microsoft.AspNet.Hosting.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
    'dnx.exe' (CLR v4.0.30319: DefaultDomain): Loaded 'C:\Users\Tariq\.dnx\packages\Microsoft.Extensions.Configuration\1.0.0-rc1-final\lib\net451\Microsoft.Extensions.Configuration.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
    'dnx.exe' (CLR v4.0.30319: DefaultDomain): Loaded 'C:\Users\Tariq\.dnx\packages\Microsoft.Extensions.Configuration.Abstractions\1.0.0-rc1-final\lib\net451\Microsoft.Extensions.Configuration.Abstractions.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
    'dnx.exe' (CLR v4.0.30319: DefaultDomain): Loaded 'C:\Users\Tariq\.dnx\packages\Microsoft.Extensions.Configuration.CommandLine\1.0.0-rc1-final\lib\net451\Microsoft.Extensions.Configuration.CommandLine.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
    'dnx.exe' (CLR v4.0.30319: DefaultDomain): Loaded 'C:\Users\Tariq\.dnx\packages\Microsoft.Extensions.Configuration.Json\1.0.0-rc1-final\lib\net451\Microsoft.Extensions.Configuration.Json.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
    'dnx.exe' (CLR v4.0.30319: DefaultDomain): Loaded 'C:\Users\Tariq\.dnx\packages\Microsoft.Extensions.Configuration.EnvironmentVariables\1.0.0-rc1-final\lib\net451\Microsoft.Extensions.Configuration.EnvironmentVariables.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
    'dnx.exe' (CLR v4.0.30319: DefaultDomain): Loaded 'C:\Users\Tariq\.dnx\packages\Microsoft.AspNet.Hosting.Abstractions\1.0.0-rc1-final\lib\net451\Microsoft.AspNet.Hosting.Abstractions.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
    The thread 0x3e20 has exited with code 0 (0x0).
    'dnx.exe' (CLR v4.0.30319: DefaultDomain): Loaded 'C:\Users\Tariq\.dnx\packages\Microsoft.Extensions.DependencyInjection.Abstractions\1.0.0-rc1-final\lib\net451\Microsoft.Extensions.DependencyInjection.Abstractions.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
    'dnx.exe' (CLR v4.0.30319: DefaultDomain): Loaded 'C:\Users\Tariq\.dnx\packages\Microsoft.AspNet.Http.Features\1.0.0-rc1-final\lib\net451\Microsoft.AspNet.Http.Features.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
    'dnx.exe' (CLR v4.0.30319: DefaultDomain): Loaded 'C:\Users\Tariq\.dnx\packages\Microsoft.AspNet.Hosting.Server.Abstractions\1.0.0-rc1-final\lib\net451\Microsoft.AspNet.Hosting.Server.Abstractions.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
    'dnx.exe' (CLR v4.0.30319: DefaultDomain): Loaded 'C:\Users\Tariq\.dnx\packages\Microsoft.Extensions.Primitives\1.0.0-rc1-final\lib\net451\Microsoft.Extensions.Primitives.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
    'dnx.exe' (CLR v4.0.30319: DefaultDomain): Loaded 'C:\Users\Tariq\.dnx\packages\Microsoft.Extensions.Configuration.FileExtensions\1.0.0-rc1-final\lib\net451\Microsoft.Extensions.Configuration.FileExtensions.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
    'dnx.exe' (CLR v4.0.30319: DefaultDomain): Loaded 'C:\Users\Tariq\.dnx\packages\Microsoft.AspNet.FileProviders.Abstractions\1.0.0-rc1-final\lib\net451\Microsoft.AspNet.FileProviders.Abstractions.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
    'dnx.exe' (CLR v4.0.30319: DefaultDomain): Loaded 'C:\Users\Tariq\.dnx\packages\Microsoft.Extensions.Logging\1.0.0-rc1-final\lib\net451\Microsoft.Extensions.Logging.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
    'dnx.exe' (CLR v4.0.30319: DefaultDomain): Loaded 'C:\Users\Tariq\.dnx\packages\Microsoft.Extensions.Logging.Abstractions\1.0.0-rc1-final\lib\net451\Microsoft.Extensions.Logging.Abstractions.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
    'dnx.exe' (CLR v4.0.30319: DefaultDomain): Loaded 'C:\Users\Tariq\.dnx\packages\Microsoft.Extensions.DependencyInjection\1.0.0-rc1-final\lib\net451\Microsoft.Extensions.DependencyInjection.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
    'dnx.exe' (CLR v4.0.30319: DefaultDomain): Loaded 'C:\Users\Tariq\.dnx\packages\Microsoft.AspNet.Http.Abstractions\1.0.0-rc1-final\lib\net451\Microsoft.AspNet.Http.Abstractions.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
    'dnx.exe' (CLR v4.0.30319: DefaultDomain): Loaded 'C:\Users\Tariq\.dnx\packages\Microsoft.AspNet.Http\1.0.0-rc1-final\lib\net451\Microsoft.AspNet.Http.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
    'dnx.exe' (CLR v4.0.30319: DefaultDomain): Loaded 'C:\Users\Tariq\.dnx\packages\System.Diagnostics.DiagnosticSource\4.0.0-beta-23516\lib\dotnet5.2\System.Diagnostics.DiagnosticSource.dll'. Symbols loaded.
    'dnx.exe' (CLR v4.0.30319: DefaultDomain): Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Runtime\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\System.Runtime.dll'. Skipped loading symbols. Module is optimized and the debugger option 'Just My Code' is enabled.
    'dnx.exe' (CLR v4.0.30319: DefaultDomain): Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Threading\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\System.Threading.dll'. Skipped loading symbols. Module is optimized and the debugger option 'Just My Code' is enabled.
    'dnx.exe' (CLR v4.0.30319: DefaultDomain): Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Diagnostics.Tracing\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\System.Diagnostics.Tracing.dll'. Skipped loading symbols. Module is optimized and the debugger option 'Just My Code' is enabled.
    'dnx.exe' (CLR v4.0.30319: DefaultDomain): Loaded 'C:\Users\Tariq\.dnx\packages\Microsoft.AspNet.FileProviders.Physical\1.0.0-rc1-final\lib\net451\Microsoft.AspNet.FileProviders.Physical.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
    'dnx.exe' (CLR v4.0.30319: DefaultDomain): Loaded 'C:\Users\Tariq\.dnx\runtimes\dnx-clr-win-x86.1.0.0-rc1-update1\bin\Microsoft.Dnx.Compilation.DesignTime.dll'. Skipped loading symbols. Module is optimized and the debugger option 'Just My Code' is enabled.
    'dnx.exe' (CLR v4.0.30319: DefaultDomain): Loaded 'UploadExpress'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
    'dnx.exe' (CLR v4.0.30319: DefaultDomain): Loaded 'C:\Users\Tariq\.dnx\packages\Microsoft.Extensions.Configuration.UserSecrets\1.0.0-rc1-final\lib\net451\Microsoft.Extensions.Configuration.UserSecrets.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
    'dnx.exe' (CLR v4.0.30319: DefaultDomain): Loaded 'C:\Users\Tariq\.dnx\packages\Newtonsoft.Json\6.0.6\lib\net45\Newtonsoft.Json.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
    'dnx.exe' (CLR v4.0.30319: DefaultDomain): Loaded 'C:\Users\Tariq\.dnx\packages\Microsoft.AspNet.Mvc\6.0.0-rc1-final\lib\net451\Microsoft.AspNet.Mvc.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
    'dnx.exe' (CLR v4.0.30319: DefaultDomain): Loaded 'C:\Users\Tariq\.dnx\packages\Microsoft.AspNet.Mvc.Core\6.0.0-rc1-final\lib\net451\Microsoft.AspNet.Mvc.Core.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.

Thursday, April 14, 2016 11:32 AM

All replies

• Hi Tariq Ayad,

One issue is that whether all ASP.NET 5 Apps have this issue, for example, if you create a simple ASP.NET 5 App, and then debug it, how about the result?

If just the specific app has this issue, I think it would be not the VS IDE usage issue. Maybe you could debug it in other VS machine.

(1) Could you find the dll file in the path like 'C:\Users\Tariq\.dnx\packages\Microsoft.AspNet.Mvc.Core\...?

(2) Do you forget to install certain packages which are related to the DNX or others?

For example:

https://www.nuget.org/packages/dnx-clr-win-x64/

(3)Please open your Modules windows, maybe you could load the symbols manually.

(4) Please enable the Microsoft Symbol Servers under Tools->Options->Debugger.

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, April 15, 2016 9:53 AM
  • Hi Jack,

Thanks for you response.

This happens with any asp.net 5 project I create, no matter whether I create it with an Empty template or the 'Web Application'. From another VS machine there are no issues. The issue only appears to be on my laptop.

1) Yes I could find the dlls in the path see here http://pastebin.com/WBuhamc2

2) I am running VS Community with Update 2. I didn't do anything to install any additional packages for example when I try the 'Empty' project template in asp.net 5. However even after adding the nuget package you mention the issue still exists.

3) I don't see an option for modules under debug http://imgur.com/MoUEWvz

4) Microsoft Symbol Servers are already enabled http://imgur.com/sGlnEHR

Here is a trace when I launch an 'Empty' Asp.net 5 project  http://pastebin.com/RDH92FhV

any other ideas?

Saturday, April 16, 2016 5:21 PM
  • Hi Tariq Ayad,

>>The issue only appears to be on my laptop.

If the same project works well in other machines, I think we should think about the VS or the Windows Environment.

(1) Open the VS, click Help menu-> About Visual Studio. And then compare the installed products with other VS IDE, maybe there are different packages which you forget to enable.

(2) Whether your current user is the admin in your windows, do you install the VS using the admin user?

Just a workaround is that you could add a new admin in this windows, and then log in your machine using this new user, and then test it again using the VS IDE. If it works well, maybe it is the account issue.

(3) Actually I'm not very sure that whether it is related certain Nuget package. But if possible, you could open the Package Manager Console, and then run the command line Get-Package -ListAvailable to check that whether there are different packages during different VS IDE.

(4) Right click your project->Properties, and then check the property build/debug settings, maybe it is related to the .NET Framework version or the platform target(Any CPU/X86/X64).

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Monday, April 18, 2016 3:13 AM
  • Hi Tariq Ayad,

Sorry for no help to you.

So it still has this issue now, am I right? Would you mind letting us know the latest information about this issue?

If it still has this issue, how about opening your VS as the admin?

Or you could add a new admin user in your windows, and then log in using the new user, how about the result if you create the same project type in your side?

Best Regards,

Jack

Tuesday, April 26, 2016 5:14 AM