Any upgrade to RTM yet? RRS feed

• Question

• With it coming available on MSDN, I would assume many people here would be upgrading.  Anyone done this yet?  It sounds like some earlier people did not have luck due to drivers for touch screen.  Anyone else brave it?

Ryan

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 5:44 PM

Answers

• I just finished it with the RTM Pro version from MSDN.  Worked like a charm.  Couple things I noticed - the Bluetooth works, but no longer shows in the new control panel.  Also, the issues I had with docks previously all went away - all the hardware is working like a charm.

How I upgraded was to download the ISO and put it on a usb key, the I just ran Setup.exe from that on the tablet.  Took a little longer than I remember for previous preview versions, but everything went prefect - no issues at all, and the issues I was having, seem to be resolved!

Ryan

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 8:02 PM

All replies

• Me is trying in an hour :)

My blog: blog.jessehouwing.nl

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 6:37 PM
  • I just finished it with the RTM Pro version from MSDN.  Worked like a charm.  Couple things I noticed - the Bluetooth works, but no longer shows in the new control panel.  Also, the issues I had with docks previously all went away - all the hardware is working like a charm.

How I upgraded was to download the ISO and put it on a usb key, the I just ran Setup.exe from that on the tablet.  Took a little longer than I remember for previous preview versions, but everything went prefect - no issues at all, and the issues I was having, seem to be resolved!

Ryan

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 8:02 PM
  • so no RTM Keys for BUILD attendees? thanks Microsoft....
    Wednesday, August 15, 2012 8:44 PM
  • Good to know Ryan-I was holding off because of some of the issues I'd read about with the touch drivers, but I'll give it a shot tonight.  Just installed on another machine though, and so far so good...  Haven't used 8 as a primary work OS yet, so we'll see how that goes.

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 8:54 PM
  • I succesfully installed as well, all seems to be working well except for two things I noticed:

• GPS sensor is nowhere to be found
    • Activation fails (but didn't ask me to input a key during setup)...

I went with the Windows 8 Enterprise edition. Removed all partitions from the slate and let setup do its magic.

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 9:13 PM
  • Ryan, what tool did you use to put the iso on a usb key?

McKay Salisbury

Thursday, August 16, 2012 1:35 AM
  • I used MagicDisc to mount the ISO and copy all of the files to the root of a USB drive.  I then turned secure boot in the BIOS off and booted up my old Windows Developer Preview WinPE image, deleted the existing partitions and ran the setup.exe from the USB drive.  It installed and I am now sitting at the Windows 8 Start menu.  I do not see any unknown devices in my Device Manager, but then again I didn't look for the GPS device driver earlier under CP or DP.

Does anyone know if there is a new (final) version of the Assement and Deployment Kit with the latest version of WinPE?  I poked around in my MSDN account, but I did not see it.

• Edited by golaat Thursday, August 16, 2012 2:19 AM
    Thursday, August 16, 2012 2:16 AM
  • You can also use diskpart to prepare the drie and then just copy/paste the ISO over it. Make sure that if you have a build slate, you pick a 4GB drive and pick fat32 as the file system. It won't boot anything other.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/danstolts/archive/2012/07/26/create-bootable-usb-thumb-drive-key-using-diskpart-with-windows-8-media-to-install-windows-8-release-preview-or-other-operating-system.aspx

Thursday, August 16, 2012 6:33 AM
  • I tried activating the GPS following this walkthrough: Samsung series 7 slate gps

I managed to get the Application Control Interface activated but I still don't get the GPS in the device manager :(...

Thursday, August 16, 2012 6:34 AM
  • Just copy the entire ISO onto the USB key, insert the key into the USB port, open the USB drive, double click the ISO, run setup.  Installed great. When done I had to do disk cleanup then system cleanup to remove the Windows.old folder.
    Thursday, August 16, 2012 12:42 PM
  • I just followed the instructions for diskpart, copy use bootmgr and copy files found in these forums.  One thing I have figured out from prior builds is that the //BUILD slates use NTFS format, not FAT32.  A Series 7 slate, and about everything else in the world only works with FAT32, ours only work with NTFS from what I have seen, and it supports large sizes (not restricted to 4GB).

Ryan

Friday, August 17, 2012 5:05 PM