none
How do I re-open and resize the Contents / Index / Search sidebar in Help Viewer 2.3 (Visual Studio 2017)?

Question

• I installed Visual Studio 2017 Enterprise side-by-side with my pre-existing installation of Visual Studio 2015 Enterprise.

I've encountered these three issues:

• Visual Studio 2017 Help Viewer 2.3 opens on the "Welcome to Visual Studio 2015" page.
    • The sidebar (Contents, Index and Search) in Help Viewer 2.3 has a fixed width that is too narrow and I cannot resize it. Is this a bug or by-design? If it's by-design, why? How is it an improvement over the previous version?
    • After clicking the Pushpin button to close the sidebar there is no way to get the sidebar back. The "Show Topic in Contents" button does not re-open the sidebar.

Here is a screenshot:

• Edited by Ḋai Thursday, March 30, 2017 9:53 PM
    Thursday, March 30, 2017 9:50 PM

Answers

• Hi Ḋai,

Welcome to MSDN forum.

I have checked it on my side and Help Viewer 2.3 has these issues as you said, I have submitted the feedback to Microsoft, please check it here: https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/problem/38158/the-issue-with-re-opening-and-resizing-the-content.html, I will go to vote and comment it.

Before it has been fixed in the upcoming release, you could have a look at the following ways to fix these issue:

>>Visual Studio 2017 Help Viewer 2.3 opens on the "Welcome to Visual Studio 2015" page.

The issue has been submitted to Microsoft and the content of vs2017 will be included in an upcoming release. You could find the feedback here: https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/problem/31778/the-content-has-not-been-updated-to-the-2017-in-th.html

>>The sidebar (Contents, Index and Search) in Help Viewer 2.3 has a fixed width that is too narrow and I cannot resize it. Is this a bug or by-design? If it's by-design, why? How is it an improvement over the previous version?

You could drag the window of contents to somewhere else, then resize it. After this, return it back.

>>After clicking the Pushpin button to close the sidebar there is no way to get the sidebar back. The "Show Topic in Contents" button does not re-open the sidebar.

Click reset, you could get it again.

Best regards,

Joyce

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, March 31, 2017 5:57 AM

All replies

• Hi Ḋai,

Welcome to MSDN forum.

I have checked it on my side and Help Viewer 2.3 has these issues as you said, I have submitted the feedback to Microsoft, please check it here: https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/problem/38158/the-issue-with-re-opening-and-resizing-the-content.html, I will go to vote and comment it.

Before it has been fixed in the upcoming release, you could have a look at the following ways to fix these issue:

>>Visual Studio 2017 Help Viewer 2.3 opens on the "Welcome to Visual Studio 2015" page.

The issue has been submitted to Microsoft and the content of vs2017 will be included in an upcoming release. You could find the feedback here: https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/problem/31778/the-content-has-not-been-updated-to-the-2017-in-th.html

>>The sidebar (Contents, Index and Search) in Help Viewer 2.3 has a fixed width that is too narrow and I cannot resize it. Is this a bug or by-design? If it's by-design, why? How is it an improvement over the previous version?

You could drag the window of contents to somewhere else, then resize it. After this, return it back.

>>After clicking the Pushpin button to close the sidebar there is no way to get the sidebar back. The "Show Topic in Contents" button does not re-open the sidebar.

Click reset, you could get it again.

Best regards,

Joyce

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, March 31, 2017 5:57 AM
  • Hi,

If possible, please mark the reply as an answer. After this, the others will go to vote the issue. Thank you for understanding.

Best regards,

Joyce

Thursday, April 06, 2017 8:11 AM
  • Thank you - the trick to resize the sidebar is an ugly workaround, but works for now - it's still far from ideal.
    Tuesday, April 18, 2017 8:45 PM