VS2012 SQLCLR Project RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, 

How do you create SQLCLR projects in VS2012, i cannot find the template?

Thanks

Richard

Monday, July 16, 2012 4:13 PM

Answers

• Hi there

If you are using the SQL Server Developer profile, The simplest answer is:

• Create a Database Project File -> New Project -> SQL Server Database Project (may be under "other" if you're using C#)
    • Add your SQLCLR items  to your database project (via "Add new item")
    • Under the SQL Server Node select SQL CLR or SQL CLR C# depending on what you want.

Here's the documentation on how to add SQLCLR objects to your database project (in case you haven't already found it):

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh272683(v=vs.103)

If that doesn't work, could you tell me a little about your setup?  I need to know these things because the answer varies depending on what you have selected.

Did you upgrade an existing install of Visual Studio or do a standalone install with Integrated Shell? If you upgraded, can you tell me what SKU you have? Is it express or Pro+?

What type of user settings profile are you using? (C# dev, VB Dev? SQL Server Dev, PM, etc)

• Edited by Sam Hughes Wednesday, July 18, 2012 7:47 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Sam Hughes Wednesday, July 18, 2012 7:47 PM
    • Marked as answer by Rich Baker Thursday, July 19, 2012 3:26 PM
    Wednesday, July 18, 2012 7:33 PM

All replies

• Hi there

If you are using the SQL Server Developer profile, The simplest answer is:

• Create a Database Project File -> New Project -> SQL Server Database Project (may be under "other" if you're using C#)
    • Add your SQLCLR items  to your database project (via "Add new item")
    • Under the SQL Server Node select SQL CLR or SQL CLR C# depending on what you want.

Here's the documentation on how to add SQLCLR objects to your database project (in case you haven't already found it):

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh272683(v=vs.103)

If that doesn't work, could you tell me a little about your setup?  I need to know these things because the answer varies depending on what you have selected.

Did you upgrade an existing install of Visual Studio or do a standalone install with Integrated Shell? If you upgraded, can you tell me what SKU you have? Is it express or Pro+?

What type of user settings profile are you using? (C# dev, VB Dev? SQL Server Dev, PM, etc)

• Edited by Sam Hughes Wednesday, July 18, 2012 7:47 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Sam Hughes Wednesday, July 18, 2012 7:47 PM
    • Marked as answer by Rich Baker Thursday, July 19, 2012 3:26 PM
    Wednesday, July 18, 2012 7:33 PM
  • I was confused as it used to be a project template in VS2010.

Many thanks

Richard

Thursday, July 19, 2012 3:29 PM