none
VBS and VBA with PPT RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Experts,

before my hair get's grey in going through the internet, looking for an answer, I like to ask the experts:

Is there a way to start with a VBS-Script and calling a VBA-Macro that modifies a PPT-File.

The point is, that there is no macro resident in the PPT!

So is there a way to run a *.ppa-file (*.ppam) externally on a ppt application?

Many thanks, if you take the time to give me an answer!

Hans

Saturday, October 25, 2014 4:37 PM

Answers

• Hi Hans,

Reading your additional notes i think that you should convert your macro indeed into a .ppa / ppam format. Deploy this file to the worstations by adding it to the add ins. That way everyone gets to use your macro. Som companies deploy add ins centrally so i don't know how that is at your place but that seems the way to go. One idea might be to add a nice ribbon to your add in which has a button on it to activate the calling macro.

If you have to deploy it then copy your add in to the startup folder from PowerPoint. That way every time PowerPoint is started the add in will be available for your users to. Excellent solution!

Maurice

• Marked as answer by Sycho Sunday, October 26, 2014 11:31 PM
    Sunday, October 26, 2014 7:31 PM
  • Hi Maurice,

thanks for your answer!

My basic intension is to use a macro to modify the "arrangement" of a given Presentation, e.g. copy slides to another position, add slides and pages, and so on (this I have already written the "normal" way - and works perfect). This is basically no problem with a resident macro inside of PPT. But when you want to give this macro to your co-worker, you have all the hassel to get the macro installed on the co-workers machine and all the difficulties involved. So the "easier" solution would be to have this macro "stand-alone" - calling up a presentation and doing it's work on it. Sounds easy - but seems not to be that way.

The question is, is there a format existing, that allows to modify the PPT-Database the way the "normal" macro's do. What about the .ppa or .ppam format? Semms to be the compiled version of the macro?

Best Regards

Hans

• Marked as answer by Sycho Sunday, October 26, 2014 11:47 AM
    Saturday, October 25, 2014 10:36 PM

All replies

• Hmm, have you tried opening Powerpoint as a process and then call the add in from a blank presentation? What would be your goal in the end?

You can open files from VBS so the next step would be to trigger the add in to do what it should suppose to do.

Maurice

• Marked as answer by Sycho Saturday, October 25, 2014 10:18 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Sycho Saturday, October 25, 2014 10:19 PM
    Saturday, October 25, 2014 7:59 PM
  • Hi Maurice,

thanks for your answer!

My basic intension is to use a macro to modify the "arrangement" of a given Presentation, e.g. copy slides to another position, add slides and pages, and so on (this I have already written the "normal" way - and works perfect). This is basically no problem with a resident macro inside of PPT. But when you want to give this macro to your co-worker, you have all the hassel to get the macro installed on the co-workers machine and all the difficulties involved. So the "easier" solution would be to have this macro "stand-alone" - calling up a presentation and doing it's work on it. Sounds easy - but seems not to be that way.

The question is, is there a format existing, that allows to modify the PPT-Database the way the "normal" macro's do. What about the .ppa or .ppam format? Semms to be the compiled version of the macro?

Best Regards

Hans

• Marked as answer by Sycho Sunday, October 26, 2014 11:47 AM
    Saturday, October 25, 2014 10:36 PM
  • Hi Hans,

Reading your additional notes i think that you should convert your macro indeed into a .ppa / ppam format. Deploy this file to the worstations by adding it to the add ins. That way everyone gets to use your macro. Som companies deploy add ins centrally so i don't know how that is at your place but that seems the way to go. One idea might be to add a nice ribbon to your add in which has a button on it to activate the calling macro.

If you have to deploy it then copy your add in to the startup folder from PowerPoint. That way every time PowerPoint is started the add in will be available for your users to. Excellent solution!

Maurice

• Marked as answer by Sycho Sunday, October 26, 2014 11:31 PM
    Sunday, October 26, 2014 7:31 PM
  • Hi Maurice,

I don't know if my reply now is double-send, as my firt try did not seem to work!?

Anyways, thanks for your answer again. I thought that your suggestion might be the way. I will try this in the next couple of days.

One additional question - is the ribbon compiled into the *.ppa (*.ppam) as well or do I have to put this elswhere?

Best Regards

Hans

Monday, October 27, 2014 10:10 AM