Wish list for .NET 3.0 framework RRS feed

• Question

• Thought I start a whish list of things that I would like changed on the 3.0 release. Just in case someone is listening at MS.

1. Allow the DataRow's Columns to expose Nullable DataTypes.

Example:
    Currently if you want to set a int? myInt = MyRow.MyColumn we need to write the code.
    int? myInt;// which could have been set prevously
    if(MyRow.IsMyColumnNull())
        myInt = null;
    else
        myInt = MyRow.MyColumn;

vs In a perfect world myInt = MyRow.MyColumn//thats three lines of code reduced!!

also when setting the DataColumn We need to go
    if(myInt == null)
        MyRow.SetMyColumnToNull();
    else
        MyRow.MyColumn = myInt;

If you try to access the MyRow.MyColumn when its null you will get an
    exception because the dataset trys to cast the value into an (int) on return. It would be very nice if when we set Nullable = true that designer would do a cast into (int?). This would reduce a lot of code.
    Thursday, August 17, 2006 8:24 PM

Answers

• This probably would be appliable for the next version of .NET after 3.0, since 3.0 is .NET 2.0 + SP1 + WinFx etc... added on top but you never know, could be more to it than that but as it currently stands, its just .NET 2.0 and WinFx/Vista features on top.

you could send your wishlist to:

wishlist [at] microsoft dot com

Thursday, August 17, 2006 8:29 PM

All replies

• This probably would be appliable for the next version of .NET after 3.0, since 3.0 is .NET 2.0 + SP1 + WinFx etc... added on top but you never know, could be more to it than that but as it currently stands, its just .NET 2.0 and WinFx/Vista features on top.

you could send your wishlist to:

wishlist [at] microsoft dot com

Thursday, August 17, 2006 8:29 PM
  • Oh btw we are a shop who has been writing a windows C# 2.0  app since last July.

How much pain will it cause us if we want to upgrade to C# 3.0 with our current framework? I love what you guys have done with the SQL style joining of objects in 3.0

I tried to use your link and it took me to the microsoft home page. Where do I navigate from there.

Thanks
    Sunday, August 20, 2006 8:44 PM
  • the link i supplied was actually an email address masked up to prevent spam bots from reading it and doing nasty things.

as for .NET 3.0 - I would say wait for about another 3 months ish until the official release if you can. There shouldn't be much pain (but could be mistaken) as .NET 3.0 is pretty much .NET 2.0 + Winfx/indigo and the vista stuff on top.

it does not currently have ADO.NET yet, this will be a seperate CTP in the coming weeks I believe

there are a group of specific forums (indigo/avalon) on these forums, just scroll down over half the page and see if the forums meet your needs where you could potentially ask .NET 3.0 questions.

Sunday, August 20, 2006 9:01 PM