List storage accounts - Description field RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

When we get the response xml for list storage accounts, in the description field, the value is "Implicitly created storage service" for some storage accounts. Can someone explain when this will be the case? Mostly it is blank.

Thanks.

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 5:21 AM

Answers

• If the name begins with "portalvhd", then these are definitely created automatically by the portal.

I suggest you create a new thread for what you want to achieve using REST API. That would help other users on the forum, IMHO.

Thanks

• Marked as answer by EnthuAzure Tuesday, October 16, 2012 7:38 AM
    Tuesday, October 16, 2012 7:35 AM

All replies

• Are these storage accounts created automatically by the portal? You would see portal automatically creating storage accounts when working with Virtual Machines.

Hope this helps.

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 5:49 AM
  • Hi Gaurav,

appreciate ur help.... I'm not sure if it was created automatically as there are a number of users using the azure account.

Could you let me know a scenario where a storage account would be automatically created? Tried by using "Use Automatically generated storage account" when creating the VM, but that is not creating a storage account automatically.

Thanks.

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 6:44 AM
  • Could you let me know a scenario where a storage account would be automatically created? Tried by using "Use Automatically generated storage account" when creating the VM, but that is not creating a storage account automatically.

In my experience the only way portal would create a storage account automatically is when I choose "Use Automaticaly generated storage account" option when creating a VM. It could be because the region I selected didn't have a storage account created there. You may want to try it out. Also did you see this description in the storage accounts where name started with "portalvhd" (and followed by some cryptic characters)?

Hope this helps.

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 6:50 AM
  • Gaurav,

Thanks for your quick response . Yes , you are right , that storage account starts with "portalvhd".

Requesting you to help me on achieving this using REST API. Consider when we are creating virtual machine in a region which  didn't have implicit storage account , what will be the default value i should provide as OSVirtualHardDisk parameter of request body.

Thanks.

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 7:13 AM
  • If the name begins with "portalvhd", then these are definitely created automatically by the portal.

I suggest you create a new thread for what you want to achieve using REST API. That would help other users on the forum, IMHO.

Thanks

• Marked as answer by EnthuAzure Tuesday, October 16, 2012 7:38 AM
    Tuesday, October 16, 2012 7:35 AM