Project Template for Shared Project in Universal Apps

Question

• The new Universal App template generates a Windows Store and Windows Phone project (conventional .csproj for C#) as well a Shared project (.shproj). I was unable to find a template to create a new Shared project. I would like to be able to create a library of sorts that would exist as a shared project and be used by several Universal apps. I don't see a way of doing this through Visual Studio. I could do this as a PCL, I suppose, but was interested to know if it is possible to have more than one shared project per Universal app.

Monday, April 28, 2014 8:51 PM

Answers

• No, there isn't an explicit shared project target that can be added separately.

There is a Solution type for "Class Library (Portable for Universal Apps)" which sounds like what you're looking for.

--Rob

• Marked as answer by Ben Rockwell Tuesday, April 29, 2014 1:59 PM
    Monday, April 28, 2014 9:08 PM
    Owner

All replies

• No, there isn't an explicit shared project target that can be added separately.

There is a Solution type for "Class Library (Portable for Universal Apps)" which sounds like what you're looking for.

--Rob

• Marked as answer by Ben Rockwell Tuesday, April 29, 2014 1:59 PM
    Monday, April 28, 2014 9:08 PM
    Owner
  • Ok that makes sense. Just for clarity, are you saying the there can be only one Shared project in a Universal App? (i.e. could a second be added manually if one knew all the magic incantations and project/solution hocus-pocus?)
    Monday, April 28, 2014 9:17 PM