Switch active configuration and platform RRS feed

• Question

• I have WPF project that builds using two configurations (Debug and Release) and two platforms (x86 and x64). 

Is there a way to switch between configurations and platforms from Blend 4?

What is default configuration and platform selected in Blend studio when I'm loading clear solution (ie without .suo file)?

Thursday, December 22, 2011 3:38 PM

Answers

• If I remember right, Blend reads the Platform & Config from each project file instead of from the solution file. If you change each .csproj to specify Debug/Release & x86/x64 as the default Config Blend should respect it. Except I dont know of a way to specify a given configuration in Blend, it always chooses the default.
    Mark answered questions to help others.
    Thursday, December 22, 2011 3:45 PM
  • That is correct, I believe Blend will use the default, the same as if you type msbuild yourproject.sln or msbuild yourproject.csproj
    Friday, December 23, 2011 12:38 AM

All replies

• If I remember right, Blend reads the Platform & Config from each project file instead of from the solution file. If you change each .csproj to specify Debug/Release & x86/x64 as the default Config Blend should respect it. Except I dont know of a way to specify a given configuration in Blend, it always chooses the default.
    Thursday, December 22, 2011 3:45 PM
  • That is correct, I believe Blend will use the default, the same as if you type msbuild yourproject.sln or msbuild yourproject.csproj
    Friday, December 23, 2011 12:38 AM
  • That's very strange. 4-th version of product and did not support basic build features. Is there some kind of "wishlist" for Blend developers?
    Friday, December 23, 2011 7:46 AM
  • Blend is meant to be used in conjunction with Visual Studio, so often things that are rarely done by designers are not implemented in Blend if they can be done by opening VS. 

Friday, December 23, 2011 3:12 PM
  • Blend is meant to be used in conjunction with Visual Studio, so often things that are rarely done by designers are not implemented in Blend if they can be done by opening VS. 

It's true. But imagine situation. I'm creating WPF desktop software for x86 and x64 architectures. I'm just writing code in VS, design and layout is made by designer in Blend. After another commit\update he calls me and says that project is not running anymore on his workstation because x64 build now set as default. And there is no way to switch it. I guess future versions of Blend must have simplest configuration manager for this purposes.

Off-top. There is also visual problems displaying WPF elements in VS and Blend, sometimes there is HUGE difference between them. But this must be anotehr topic.

Friday, December 23, 2011 3:21 PM
  • Ya you'll run into that. VS uses the Cider Designer currently, but I believe VS2011 will be using the blend design view.
    Friday, December 23, 2011 3:23 PM