asp.net installation RRS feed

• Question

• User-1997257017 posted

I am trying to determine what to change on my visual studio 2010 ultimate installation and/or other applications on my computer.

The problem was caused by me removing some applications on the 'C' drive of my computer since I was running out of space. When I tried to run the C#.net 2010 web form application, I had visual studio run problems.  Note there is another computer in my office where the application actually runs successfully.

To solve the problem, I obtained visual studio 2010 ultimate from the msdn website and did a 'repair'. This fixed the problem until I got a runtime error. Now I am wondering if I need to install something else and/or possibly install something else. 

Do you think that I should do a total reinstall of the visual studio 2010 ultimate on my workstation? Do you think I should uninstall the current visual studio 2010 on my workstation? I would then reboot the computer. I would then you a total reinstall  (not a repair) of Visual Studio 2010. This way maybe whatever else is missing would be located in the total reinstall.

If I do a total uninstall and then do I total reinstall of the ultimate version of visual studio 2010, would the reinstall have a problem like finding the TFS 2010 files that I am currently using? Would there be a problem with the Visual Studio.net 2010 finding the sql server database files that I need? Basically would there be problems that I would need to be aware of?

If I do a total reinstall of reinstall of visual studio 2010, will I need to reinstall service pack 1 and or any of the critical hotfix updates that have occurred? Are there any issues that I should be aware of?

Thus I am wondering if you suggest what I should try?

Saturday, September 23, 2017 11:07 PM

Answers

• User1771544211 posted

Hi wendy,

Using internet explorer debugger, I am getting the following error:

Line: 52 Error: Object doesn't support property or method 'from'

As explained by Mozilla here, the Array.from function is not yet supported by IE.

Browser compatibility

How do you backup TFS files and any others associated with Visual Studio 2010?

Based on my understanding, the TFS is the shorten name of Team Foundation Server. The Team Foundation Server provides source code management, so it's very convenient to manage your files.

3. If I do a total reinstall, how I will I know I have the 'latest' version of Visual Studio?

Here is the link where you can find all versions of VS 2010, you can compare the release date to find the latest version of VS 2010.

https://my.visualstudio.com/Downloads?q=visual%20studio%202010&wt.mc_id=o~msft~vscom~older-downloads

4. Do I need to have 'Microsoft Visual C++ 2010  x64 Redistributable or for x86? If you where would I obtain that download file from in the msdn license download website or where ever I would obtain that file from?

No, you don't need. Based on my experience, when you install the VS, it will install the Microsoft Visual C++ 2010  x64 Redistributable or for x86 together.

Best Regards,

Jean

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, September 26, 2017 3:09 AM

All replies

• User1771544211 posted

Hi wendy,

This fixed the problem until I got a runtime error.

What's the error are you facing now? Could you please share the error message here?

Do you think that I should do a total reinstall of the visual studio 2010 ultimate on my workstation? Do you think I should uninstall the current visual studio 2010 on my workstation?

I think we should check the error message first to see if we can find the root cause. Perhaps this error is caused by that some dll files are not well installed.

If I do a total uninstall and then do I total reinstall of the ultimate version of visual studio 2010, would the reinstall have a problem like finding the TFS 2010 files that I am currently using?

Based on my experience, it will not cause problems with the TFS files, however, it's recommend to have a back of these files before you uninstall this.

Would there be a problem with the Visual Studio.net 2010 finding the sql server database files that I need?

No, it will not affect the sql server.

If I do a total reinstall of reinstall of visual studio 2010, will I need to reinstall service pack 1 and or any of the critical hotfix updates that have occurred? Are there any issues that I should be aware of?

Please download the latest version of the VS 2010 then you don't need to install the service pack 1 again.

Best Regards,

Jean

Monday, September 25, 2017 3:06 AM
  • User-1997257017 posted

The following is in response to your questions:

1. Here is the error I am getting:

var firstVisibleElement = Array.from(document.querySelector("#rso").children) .find(positiveClientHeight)

2. You mentioned the following: 'Based on my experience, it will not cause problems with the TFS files, however, it's recommend to have a back of these files before you uninstall this'.

3. If I do a total reinstall, how I will I know I have the 'latest' version of Visual Studio?

a. When I look at the about screen, I see I have Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Version 10.0.40219.1 SP1 Rel and

Microsoft .net framework version 4.0.30319 SP1 Rel

b. If this is not the most current version where in the MDSN license area would I get the most current version of the application? What make is the link?

c.  The version I have right now has several critical updates for Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate. There are also hotfixes that say if a more recent service pack, this hotfix will be uninstalled automatically. Do I need to be concerned updates the critical updates and/or hotfixes? If so, what would I need to do?

4. Do I need to have 'Microsoft Visual C++ 2010  x64 Redistributable or for x86? If you where would I obtain that download file from in the msdn license download website or where ever I would obtain that file from?

Monday, September 25, 2017 2:32 PM
  • User1771544211 posted

Hi wendy,

As explained by Mozilla here, the Array.from function is not yet supported by IE.

Browser compatibility

Based on my understanding, the TFS is the shorten name of Team Foundation Server. The Team Foundation Server provides source code management, so it's very convenient to manage your files.

Here is the link where you can find all versions of VS 2010, you can compare the release date to find the latest version of VS 2010.

https://my.visualstudio.com/Downloads?q=visual%20studio%202010&wt.mc_id=o~msft~vscom~older-downloads

No, you don't need. Based on my experience, when you install the VS, it will install the Microsoft Visual C++ 2010  x64 Redistributable or for x86 together.

Best Regards,

Jean

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, September 26, 2017 3:09 AM
  • User-1997257017 posted

I would like to mention the following:

1. When I did a repair of visual studio 2010 ultimate version, the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable was not installed. I do not have it on my computer. Thus if I obtain another version of the visual studio 2010 ultimate will I have the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable or where should I obtain this from?

2. The link you gave me for Visual studio 2010, did not contain the download for the ultimate version. Thus can you tell me where I would obtain a copy of this version to download?

3. I know that I unistalled a remote debugger that I never used. Thus can  you tell me if I would need to reinstall a remote debugger and what is the exact url (link) of where I can obtain that remote debugger from?

Tuesday, September 26, 2017 3:34 PM
  • User1771544211 posted

Hi wendy,

1. When I did a repair of visual studio 2010 ultimate version, the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable was not installed. I do not have it on my computer. Thus if I obtain another version of the visual studio 2010 ultimate will I have the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable or where should I obtain this from?

The Visual C++ Redistributable Packages install run-time components of Visual C++ libraries. Do you install the C++ component on Visual Studio? I have installed some versions of Visual Studio and none one asks me to install the Visual C++ Redistributable Packages.

And I think you can try download and install the Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package :h ttps://www.microsoft.com/en-sg/download/details.aspx?id=5555&751be11f-ede8-5a0c-058c-2ee190a24fa6=True

2. The link you gave me for Visual studio 2010, did not contain the download for the ultimate version. Thus can you tell me where I would obtain a copy of this version to download?

Please try download the Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate from Microsoft using the direct link : Download Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate

3. I know that I unistalled a remote debugger that I never used. Thus can  you tell me if I would need to reinstall a remote debugger and what is the exact url (link) of where I can obtain that remote debugger from?

Please try this link to download the remote debugger for VS 2010 : https://www.microsoft.com/en-sg/download/details.aspx?id=475&751be11f-ede8-5a0c-058c-2ee190a24fa6=True

Best Regards,

Jean

Wednesday, September 27, 2017 3:04 AM