Azure SQL backups on Azure VMs with SQL Server - DB in Logshipping RRS feed

• Question

• Hey

I am setting up Azure SQL backup from Azure VM with SQL Server - to Azure Recovery Services Vault. Works fine, but....

...I have a database configured for Logshipping to an OnPrem SQL Server.

Logshipping uses a folder on local Azure VM to dump the backups - then these are read from the OnPrem SQL Server and restored here.

How to configure this using the Azure Recovery Vault?

Next: could I have a permanent backup policy in the Recovery Vault using Copy-Only for full backups of this Logshipped DB??

Kind regards, Bjarne

Thursday, October 17, 2019 11:21 AM

All replies

• Hi Bjarne

Just to get the clarity on the issue. You currently have the below architecture:

1) One Azure SQL VM
    2) Azure Backup Service with Recovery Vault
    3) On premises SQL Server 

You can configured Azure SQL backup service to take backup from Azure SQL VM to Recovery Vault(https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/backup/backup-sql-server-database-azure-vms). Also you have one of the database configured for Log shipping from Azure SQL VM to On premises using a folder on Azure SQL VM.

If this is correct , please reiterate your question that what exactly you want to acheive. It is not clear, what you want to configure recovery vault to retain.

Thanks
    Navtej S

Thursday, October 17, 2019 6:30 PM
  • Hi Navtej

I think I might have misunderstood the logshipping setup. Was afraid to break the backup chain. But I will leave the transactionlog backups in logshipping and only configure Full backups in Recovery Services Vault of the logshipped database.

Thanks for your reply

Best regards,

Bjarne

Friday, October 18, 2019 6:27 AM
  • Hi Bjarne

I am glad it helped. That will be the way to move forward with this. Additionally you can use copy only back ups to achieve this as well. This will also not break the back up chain.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/relational-databases/backup-restore/copy-only-backups-sql-server?view=sql-server-ver15

Hope this helps as well.

Thanks
    Navtej S

Friday, October 18, 2019 3:50 PM