Migrating form 2005 to 2014 RRS feed

• Question

• What is best practice for migrating?  Should I us the wizard and on install have it update the exiting SQL or should I install a new instance and then migrate each database individually?

If I make a second install and have them run side by side until all databases are moved is there a way to switch which database instance is the default instance.  Up till now the data source connection was simply the server name, if I install a second the connection is now servername\instance name.  Not that this is a huge deal but I prefer the simple server name.  I have looked at the alias but I have been unable to get it to work.  I look at the new instance, TCP/IP is listening all.  I open the alias and enter the dynamic port, the server name and the alias name but when I try to connect using the alias it can not find the instance.

I am working on our test server now and have not progress very far so if it is better to do an in place upgrade I could uninstall SQL 2014 and then run the install again. 

Friday, December 19, 2014 10:05 PM

Answers

• Hello,

One main point to decide between "in-place" and a "side-by-side" migration is if you can have a down time of SQL Server. An in-place migration requires a down time of at least 30 min or more, while side-by-side could be done more smoothly, but it may requires modification of connection strings of application to point to the new named instance.

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

• Proposed as answer by Donghui Li Monday, December 22, 2014 9:17 AM
    • Marked as answer by Donghui Li Saturday, December 27, 2014 6:08 AM
    Friday, December 19, 2014 10:16 PM