none
how to display text on the screen? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am developing a display driver for "unknown hardware" (I don't have a documentation for it). It is far away from being complete (It is just some code for investigating the hardware). So I am trying different things to see if they work. Anyway it is quite painful as you can imagine. I set up the hardware. Now I need to test it if it is going to display anything at all. Let's assume I have a physical address of the frame buffer. Is there is a quick way to display anything on the screen (writing to the frame buffer) preferably some text?

Thanks

Monday, June 27, 2011 8:26 PM

Answers

• If you have the framebuffer address, you can access it.  The easy way is to fill it with with color, e.g black/white (0/ff).

But you are going to need to know details of both your display controller and your display.  Until the display controller is set up to generate the proper timings to the display, configure the pins that driver the display, setup whatever pipeline exists between the framebuffer and the pins etc you aren't going to get much output.

Display configuration can be a challenging exercise, you're going to want to start with a working configuration for something, then modify it to match the new display.  Random trial and error isn't likely to be fruitful.

Dean Ramsier eMVP BSQUARE Corporation
    Monday, June 27, 2011 8:55 PM