Windows 8 Tablet Simulator

Question

• I downloaded and installed the Windows 8 Tablet Simulator and it works fine.

My principal use for it was to test a website using IE10 on a tablet rather than my desktop.

However, the simulator does not appear to respect the viewport meta tag e.g.<meta name="viewport" content="width=320">

It just ignores it in the same way a desktop would?

Wednesday, February 06, 2013 12:27 PM

Answers

• The simulator will act essentially the same as the host machine: it is a remote desktop client which simulates touch input, sensors and resolutions.

--Rob

Thursday, February 07, 2013 12:43 AM
    Owner

All replies

• The simulator will act essentially the same as the host machine: it is a remote desktop client which simulates touch input, sensors and resolutions.

--Rob

Thursday, February 07, 2013 12:43 AM
    Owner
  • Thanks Rob.

So essentially from a website testing perspective it offers much the same outcome as the desktop browser would. How are web designers going to test Windows 8 on tablets? Apple, Android and Opera all have simulators that allow use to do this.

Thursday, February 07, 2013 10:24 AM
  • This forum (and the simulator) is specifically for developing Windows Store apps. For best practices on writing and testing web pages with IE please try the IE forums.

That said, Windows tablets and desktops run the same OS and browsers and so should work similarly on both. Again, check with the IE forums about support for viewports.

--Rob

Thursday, February 14, 2013 9:29 PM
    Owner
  • I have a windows 7 machine 32 bit. How can I get this simulator running on my machine? Can you share the link and steps?
    Wednesday, April 09, 2014 6:32 AM
  • you need windows 8 or 8.1 to get the simulator.   You could use browser stack or create a windows 8 virtual machine to for this.  There are some VM and more info available on modern.ie
    Thursday, April 10, 2014 12:51 AM