Windows Mobile Device with Webcams Plugged In RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone,

I am exploring the possibility of plugging webcams/cameras (preferrably any webcam/camera - so I don't get tied to a particular hardware vendor) into a Windows Mobile 5 or 6 device, and write a piece of software app that allows user to click a button in that software app to get the plugged-in webcam/camera to take pictures or video streams.

So, I will need to know if this is possible to write a software app to do so on Windows Mobile 5 or 6 platforms? .NET is preferred but not essential.

What exactly do the webcam need to adhere to (for example, TWAIN)? USB Video Class 1.1? Bluetooth?

I had a look on the internet but no luck so far.

Any pointers will be welcome.

Thanks

Friday, July 24, 2009 5:10 AM

Answers

• In theory you can plug external USB camera assuming you can find device with USB host (few models, mostly obsolete) and camera with WM drivers (0 models I
    know of).

Since most WM devices currently on the market have built in camera(s) which can be accessed via DirectShow API I would suggest you go with DirectShow API. If you ever find external camera for WM device (which is improbable IMO) it would probably also work via DirectShow.
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by warrentang Monday, July 27, 2009 7:57 AM
    Friday, July 24, 2009 6:28 AM

All replies

• In theory you can plug external USB camera assuming you can find device with USB host (few models, mostly obsolete) and camera with WM drivers (0 models I
    know of).

Since most WM devices currently on the market have built in camera(s) which can be accessed via DirectShow API I would suggest you go with DirectShow API. If you ever find external camera for WM device (which is improbable IMO) it would probably also work via DirectShow.
    • Marked as answer by warrentang Monday, July 27, 2009 7:57 AM
    Friday, July 24, 2009 6:28 AM
  • Thanks Ilya. If USB is now out-of-date for the mobile devices, will a wireless connectivity - in particular, Bluetooth - be a better option? I doubt it, from my quick lookup on the net and various posts, the camera/webcam manufacturer still needs to provide the underlying driver SDK so my Windows Mobile app can talk to the device? Thanks.
    Friday, July 31, 2009 5:12 AM
  • It's not what USB is out of date it's just what USB hosts are just not that useful for devices.

If you can find BT camera at all and BT camera with drivers for WM in particular then sure, go for it.

BTW, why can't you just use built in camera? It's hard to find WM device without one nowadays.

Friday, July 31, 2009 7:11 AM
  • Thanks. The reason is because the clients use mobile devices on the fields, and would like to be able to take high quality pictures when they are on the fields doing their work. Built-in cameras might not be good enough for their purposes.
    Friday, July 31, 2009 1:28 PM
  • h3nry000,

Were you able to find a solution?

Thanks,

Linda

Wednesday, September 8, 2010 11:58 AM
  • Hi Linda, (un)fortunately the project didn't end up going ahead, so I never found an answer to it. Cheers.
    Friday, September 10, 2010 8:14 AM