none
Visual Studio and Connecting to an Oracle Database

Question

• Group,

I need some help.  My programming experience is in Visual Basic.  Conversely I've used Visual Studio Express 2015 to do the work I need.  I now have an application that will need to connect to an Oracle database.  I can't seem to get it to connect correctly.  So my question is:

Has anyone had success in connecting to an Oracle database to any version of Visual Studio Express?  If so, which version and what steps did you take do do it?  If not, have you connected via one of the full versions?  If so, which one?

I'm suspecting that the Express versions don't support Oracle connections.  If this is truly the case, I need to know which version of Visual Studio to purchase (i.e. 2010, 2012, 2013, 2015).  I will be a single user so the big versions aren't needed.

Thanks for your comments.  I look forward to hearing from you.

Don

Thursday, July 28, 2016 2:09 PM

Answers

• Hi Don,

Thank you for your post.

It seems Oracle has  released its support for VS 2015:

ODAC 12c Release 4 includes support for Windows 10, Visual Studio 2015, .NET Framework 4.6, offline schema comparison, network data encryption (managed ODP.NET),

Read here:  http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/topics/dotnet/whatsnew/index.html

You may download the Oracle Developer Tools for Visual Studio from the following link:

https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/appdev.112/e10767/building_odt.htm#TDPNG50000

Since Our forum is discussing about VS general question like how to set/configure Visual Studio and Visual Studio tools. As your question is about connecting to Oracle, I suggest you go to the following forum for dedicated support.

https://community.oracle.com/welcome

Thank you for your understanding.

Best Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by BigDonAtlanta Thursday, August 04, 2016 8:06 PM
    Friday, July 29, 2016 5:52 AM

All replies

• Hi Don,

Thank you for your post.

It seems Oracle has  released its support for VS 2015:

ODAC 12c Release 4 includes support for Windows 10, Visual Studio 2015, .NET Framework 4.6, offline schema comparison, network data encryption (managed ODP.NET),

Read here:  http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/topics/dotnet/whatsnew/index.html

You may download the Oracle Developer Tools for Visual Studio from the following link:

https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/appdev.112/e10767/building_odt.htm#TDPNG50000

Since Our forum is discussing about VS general question like how to set/configure Visual Studio and Visual Studio tools. As your question is about connecting to Oracle, I suggest you go to the following forum for dedicated support.

https://community.oracle.com/welcome

Thank you for your understanding.

Best Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

• Marked as answer by BigDonAtlanta Thursday, August 04, 2016 8:06 PM
    Friday, July 29, 2016 5:52 AM
  • I've contacted Oracle regarding the issues that I'm having.  The continue to refer me back to Microsoft.  My primary question is: Does Visual Studio 2015 (the Express or Community version) work well with Oracle databases?  I am using Windows 7 64 bit version.  I've have downloaded the linked tools from the Oracle site but I have tried to install this to VS2015 with no luck.  As I am using Windows 7, should I use an earlier version of Visual Studio that has a good track record with Oracle database connections?  

Thanks for your help.

Don

Monday, August 01, 2016 2:52 PM
  • I've contacted Oracle regarding the issues that I'm having.  The continue to refer me back to Microsoft.  My primary question is: Does Visual Studio 2015 (the Express or Community version) work well with Oracle databases?  I am using Windows 7 64 bit version.  I've have downloaded the linked tools from the Oracle site but I have tried to install this to VS2015 with no luck.  As I am using Windows 7, should I use an earlier version of Visual Studio that has a good track record with Oracle database connections?  

Thanks for your help.

Don

Don,

A funny question, does Oracle refer you back to Microsoft to ask if Oracle databases work well? Since Visual Studio 2003 Oracle is not direct anymore supported in Visual Studio by its clients, those are delivered by Oracle. If those are available for Visual Studio 2015 than Oracle has to say that how they function and not Microsoft. 

In the Links Luna gave you is in my perception all information. 

Success
    Cor

Monday, August 01, 2016 3:38 PM
  • Lana,

I need to pass on to you my appreciation for your information.  It's taken me several hours of work, but I was able to successfully connect to our server.  Thank you greatly for your links.  These were incredibly helpful.

Again, Thank you.  You are my hero!

Don

Thursday, August 04, 2016 8:06 PM
  • Hi Don,

I'm really glad to hear you have had your issue resolved. And thanks for sharing us your result here.

It will benefit to other community members who have the same issue. It will be easier for them to search the solution.

Have a nice day:)

Best Regards,

Friday, August 05, 2016 1:23 AM