Win 8.1 Samples: HttpClient Not Opening RRS feed

• Question

• I just updated to Windows 8.1 and Visual Studio 2013. I then downloaded the sample applications from the following URL:

http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/Windows-8-Modern-Style-App-Samples

When I open the HttpClient sample application, Visual Studio 2013 stops responding before the open is complete. I see the files in the solution explorer, but I cannot click on anything in Visual Studio. The only way out is to kill Visual Studio in the Task Manager.

My own application opens and compiles just fine, so I don't think it's Visual Studio.

Does anyone have a work-around? I'd really like to try the sample applications.

Thanks...

Randy

Thursday, November 14, 2013 1:53 PM

Answers

• I haven't been able to reproduce the issue you are experiencing. What edition of Visual Studio are you using? Pro/Ultimate/Express? Can you ensure that you install any updates for Visual Studio as well as Windows updates?

If that doesn't help can you try opening the .csproj directly rather than opening up the solution? The .csproj for the HttpClient project is found under: <>\C# and C++\HttpClient\HttpClient.csproj.

Windows Store Developer Solutions, follow us on Twitter: @WSDevSol|| Want more solutions? See our blog

Wednesday, November 27, 2013 1:50 AM

All replies

• Thanks for the report. Try the 8.1 samples rather than the 8.0 samples, or use individual ones. It's probably getting hung up trying (or offering) to convert that entire set.

--Rob

Thursday, November 14, 2013 2:06 PM
  • I drilled down to the HttpClient write-up under Networking, and found that I needed to start a Command Prompt as admin, then run the following PowerShell script. Note that if you try to run the following in a PowerShell window, rather than an admin Command Prompt window, you get all sorts of errors you can avoid:

PowerShell.exe -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted -File SetupServer.ps1

I successfully ran the script, and also updated by Path environment variable to include the HttpClientSample directory. I then restarted VS2013, and still have the same problem.

I hope someone has a point to show me I'm just missing something. Right now, this sample look unusable.

Any pointers? I did verify I have the Windows 8.1 samples, not the Windows 8.0 samples.

Randy

Thursday, November 14, 2013 2:51 PM
  • I still wanted to look at the source code, even if I cannot run it. I created my own solution, then added the HttpClient project to my solution. That did not cause VS to crash. I then added the HttpFilter project, which HttpClient needs to compile, that caused VS to crash.

I didn't try loading the server project.

FWIW...

Randy

Thursday, November 14, 2013 3:23 PM
  • I haven't been able to reproduce the issue you are experiencing. What edition of Visual Studio are you using? Pro/Ultimate/Express? Can you ensure that you install any updates for Visual Studio as well as Windows updates?

If that doesn't help can you try opening the .csproj directly rather than opening up the solution? The .csproj for the HttpClient project is found under: <>\C# and C++\HttpClient\HttpClient.csproj.

Windows Store Developer Solutions, follow us on Twitter: @WSDevSol|| Want more solutions? See our blog

Wednesday, November 27, 2013 1:50 AM