tryparseexact "hh:mmtt ddd dd MMM" fails at year end RRS feed

• Question

• Generally I have no problems with using the format "hh:mmtt ddd dd MMM", however, since we are at the end of the year, tryparseexact is failing for strings with the format "01:30AM Tue 01 Jan" whereas "01:30AM Tue 31 Dec" is ok (System clock Dec 31, 2012)

If I change the system clock to Jan 1, 2013, then "01:30AM Tue 01 Jan" parses ok, but "01:30AM Tue 31 Dec" does not.

I am scraping data from the web, so I have no direct control over the input format.  Other than testing what the currrent day is, and then parsing the month to decide if I am near the end of the year and then add the year to the input date string,  are there any simpler suggestions to get around this issue I am facing?

Sunday, December 30, 2012 10:57 PM

Answers

• Hi Ray,

Welcome to the MSDN Forum.

I am afraid that the date is a wrong date, because Dec 31, 2012 is Monday, not Tuesday. I tried to change it to Mon 

Dim dt As DateTime = DateTime.ParseExact("01:30AM Mon 31 Dec", "hh:mmtt ddd dd MMM", Nothing)
            Console.WriteLine(dt)

And it works as expected.

So when you cannot convert it, it means you got a wrong date time. About how to handle this issue, it is not the original issue in this thread.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Mike Feng
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by Mike Feng Friday, January 4, 2013 7:55 AM
    Monday, December 31, 2012 5:33 AM

All replies

• That is because, since you have not specified any year, by default it assumes the current year i.e. 2012. But 01-Jan-2012 was not Tuesday (it was Sunday). Hence it will throw you the exception. However, if you add the year to your input, it will work.

string format = "hh:mmtt ddd dd MMM yy";
    string input = "01:30AM Tue 01 Jan 13";

DateTime dt = DateTime.ParseExact(input, format, null);

I hope this helps.

Please mark this post as answer if it solved your problem. Happy Programming!

Monday, December 31, 2012 5:17 AM
  • Hi Ray,

Welcome to the MSDN Forum.

I am afraid that the date is a wrong date, because Dec 31, 2012 is Monday, not Tuesday. I tried to change it to Mon 

Dim dt As DateTime = DateTime.ParseExact("01:30AM Mon 31 Dec", "hh:mmtt ddd dd MMM", Nothing)
            Console.WriteLine(dt)

And it works as expected.

So when you cannot convert it, it means you got a wrong date time. About how to handle this issue, it is not the original issue in this thread.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Mike Feng
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by Mike Feng Friday, January 4, 2013 7:55 AM
    Monday, December 31, 2012 5:33 AM